Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2006, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

To spray or not to sray that is the question

After starting a new LC business this past summer and starting to plan things for next season we are considering getting into spraying also. The LC business is a second job for my partner and I we both have ft jobs but didnt want to jump all in 1st few years out. I have looked into the cost and licensing req.

Any thougts, advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks
Eric
Old 12-03-2006, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got my license last winter and did some Herbicide spraying this yr. I charged $7.00 a 1000sqf. with a $50.00 minimum and made good $
Old 12-03-2006, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you can continue to do that with production lawn care then you are well on your way to running a very profitable business. However, if your treating 12k and up lawn then you might be to cheap.

for the first post: When I first started in lawncare i wish I would have never started the first mower, and just focused on applications. especially if you are working another job, becasue it is not nearly as difficult, meaning if it rains all day and you have a full mowing scheadule, you are in a tight spot, but with fertilizing you can miss a day and not be in too deep. until you get a full book, then if will be harder. Also, it takes alot of customers to make money at it. about 200 customers (residental) might bring is gross of 45-55k depending on your market.

Last edited by J Hisch; 12-03-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino42n
After starting a new LC business this past summer and starting to plan things for next season we are considering getting into spraying also. The LC business is a second job for my partner and I we both have ft jobs but didnt want to jump all in 1st few years out. I have looked into the cost and licensing req.

Any thoughts, advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks
Eric
Unless you both are going to quit your full time Job's, then you are wasting your time and about to kill your business. It is very costly for the right chemicals, and very time consuming.....and thats one thing a lot of LCO dont think about. You need sprayers, tanks, weed control, maintenance, etc....You really should do your research very thoroughly before making that jump. Plus with you guys both working full time, if you start to grow faster then you can handle then you will start to become very unreliable, and most times start rushing through jobs just to get them done. Its good money, but it takes a while to really see a REAL profit. I say wait until you are doing LC full time. Have you thought about storage, and delivery of chemicals? I mean I am not trying to discourage you from doing this, but dont make the same mistake so many others have made.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts
Unless you both are going to quit your full time Job's, then you are wasting your time and about to kill your business. It is very costly for the right chemicals, and very time consuming.....and thats one thing a lot of LCO dont think about. You need sprayers, tanks, weed control, maintenance, etc....You really should do your research very thoroughly before making that jump. Plus with you guys both working full time, if you start to grow faster then you can handle then you will start to become very unreliable, and most times start rushing through jobs just to get them done. Its good money, but it takes a while to really see a REAL profit. I say wait until you are doing LC full time. Have you thought about storage, and delivery of chemicals? I mean I am not trying to discourage you from doing this, but dont make the same mistake so many others have made.
Sometimes you get some really good advice on here ... and the above reply is VERY good advice.

I will be 100% full time this coming Spring ... and only then am I considering dry applications. I don't want to even get into spraying.

What is difficult is to make sure you don't have to much to do when you are part time. It can kill you in a heartbeat!

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Hisch
if you can continue to do that with production lawn care then you are well on your way to running a very profitable business. However, if your treating 12k and up lawn then you might be to cheap.

for the first post: When I first started in lawncare i wish I would have never started the first mower, and just focused on applications. especially if you are working another job, becasue it is not nearly as difficult, meaning if it rains all day and you have a full mowing scheadule, you are in a tight spot, but with fertilizing you can miss a day and not be in too deep. until you get a full book, then if will be harder. Also, it takes alot of customers to make money at it. about 200 customers (residential) might bring is gross of 45-55k depending on your market.
I'm small scale, Part time, Residential