Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does sending out holiday cards increase the chance of getting a tip?

I've never sent them out before. When I had a partner for 13 yrs(split up) we never sent them out, and out of 60 reg customers we would only receivce one tip from any of them yearly
Since being solo for two years now I get one tip from one customer now(last year)

So who had customers over the years that never sent a tip before, then started sending them after you started sending holiday cards?

Also, every year on the news around christmas time they mention who you should tip. Landscapers are always mentioned.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first year in business and I'm sending out about 45 cards. I'll hope for a tip but the real reason I'm sending them out is to remind people that YOU STILL HAVE NOT PAID YOUR CLEANUP BILL. SO GET OF YOUR LAZY A$$ AND PAY ME NOW!!!. I'll send them out 2 days before my due date. I'v had them ready since thanksgiving day. PAY UP SUCKER!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I would waste money on cards if your incentive is to recieve a tip. Either do it because you like your customers (friendly) or do it to build a rapport and establish a relationship with your customers (marketing).
Old 12-03-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Marketing all the way. I get a few tips but my main motivation is that this Lawn boy cares not only about his check but me. I get many referals in dead winter due to christmas cards.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find it very distressing to hear the attitudes expressed here, as well as a couple of other threads. The first two posts here are examples of what the customer perceives. For me, there is no mystery why there are no tips and why the customers are slow in paying.

A Christmas card exchange is a genuine extension of wishes about the joy and celebration of the incarnation of Jesus Christ. Anything beyond that carries a motivation that is hypocritical and self-serving. The wrong motives are not hidden, and are well noted by those who are offended by such actions.

For me, and many others, any so-called "holiday" card from somebody who does not share the same thoughts regarding Christmas are is trashed. Any person, such as the paper carrier who I have never seen, who sends a "holiday" card expecting something in return will NEVER see a dime in a tip. In another thread discussing this topic, several posts were made something like, "... send a holiday card so it will not offend anybody." This is wrong, plain and simple. If you genuinely care about sharing the joy of Christmas with another person, then send them a Christmas card out of that spirit. If you don't celebrate the genuine Christmas, then why are you bothering to send out Christmas cards? Or, if you do celebrate Christmas, and you don't know if your other party shares your joy, then you need to get to know your customer better before sending a Christmas card.

If you just want more money from your customer, don't solicit the money under the guise of Christmas. Just send a plain piece of paper asking for the money.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATWEASEL
I don't think I would waste money on cards if your incentive is to recieve a tip. Either do it because you like your customers (friendly) or do it to build a rapport and establish a relationship with your customers (marketing).
Absolutely. We send cards because we want to, not because we may get a tip.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I do it it get's me a few more lawns a year to cut helps me out
Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
If you just want more money from your customer, don't solicit the money under the guise of Christmas. Just send a plain piece of paper asking for the money.
Either that or just mount a tip jar on your mower

I get a few tips from the same customers each year...just 2 or 3 and normally a gift card to a restaurant or store.

I try to charge enough so tips aren't necessary
Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been sending out cards since my first year in business, this is my 4th. Without our customers we wouldnt be ****, so I do this to show apperciation, I also include 1 free mowing gift cert to get them back the following year. Some of my customers send me cards now and also buy me gifts! It doesnt hurt to send them out, all it is is your time to prep them! just my .02