Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Where to get used commercial mowers

I have looked at the residential mowers and am not impressed with many of them. The best thing I have seen is the Cub Cadet 2000 series mowers. Forget the ztrs in that price range. They run in the mid $3000s. I am wondering if I wouldn't be better of with a used commercial machine. If so where do I find them, what should I look out for. I have 3/4 of an acre and I live in Raleigh, NC.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some places you might check include your local newspaper in the classifieds, checking with dealers to see if they or other lco's have any units for sale, check a local paper like a Bargain Mart, etc. Another good place to check is Ebay. This is a good time of year to purchase used equipment as some peoplle are getting out of business at then end of the season. If you spend some time shoppping you may find a nearly new unit for about 1/2 price of new.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I looked on Ebay and craigslist. I didn't really see anything except a scag with a bad wheel motor on Ebay. I am suppossed to get a good bonus sometime this month or next when the project at work gets done. I don't have any idea how much, but I hope it is enough to get something good. I do all my own mechanic work, so I am not afraid to get a fixer upper, but I don't want a basket case either.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct
Thanks. I looked on Ebay and craigslist. I didn't really see anything except a scag with a bad wheel motor on Ebay. I am suppossed to get a good bonus sometime this month or next when the project at work gets done. I don't have any idea how much, but I hope it is enough to get something good. I do all my own mechanic work, so I am not afraid to get a fixer upper, but I don't want a basket case either.

What kid of mower are you looking for?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a ztr. I have very little time with my work schedule, and I don't plan on towing anything except a spreader and maybe a small cart, thus the 2000 series cub seems to be overkill.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct
I think a ztr. I have very little time with my work schedule, and I don't plan on towing anything except a spreader and maybe a small cart, thus the 2000 series cub seems to be overkill.
I'm guessing you are trying to stay in the $3000 price range. I would take my time and check the various dealers for used equipment. Two of the dealers I use have areas set aside for individuals to sell their equipment. I think you should be able to find a decent unit for what you are wanting to pay.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

The price range is going to be determined by my bonus. It should be at least $3000 though. I was at a Toro dealer last weekend and saw a Z400 Zmaster with a 48" deck and a Kohler 18hp for $5000. It would be great if I could go that route, but my luck will probably not be that good. I have gotten the same line from every dealer I have visited and I quote "you don't want anything I have got in on trade". So why take it in in the first place?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

for 3000 you could get a quick 36 samurai hydro with a sulky brand new delivered to your door and Ive heard nothing but good things about them about them. do a search on here for them, odds are youll like what you read
Old 12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would think if you wind up in the 4k range, this time of year you could get a Hustler Mini FasTrack. I got one last March for 3800.00. 16/42

I cut my 0.5 acre, my neighbors 0.75 and another neighbors 0.5'ish lawn. I think I have 50 to 60 hrs on it and it runs like the day I bought it.

Last edited by fishinpa; 12-05-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

might want to look into the quick 36 for 2000
Use Vista print click here http://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=638256053415

2004 Ford F-250
Toro Z558 60"/28hp
Quick 36 Super Duty
Cub Cadet 50"/22hp (operational)
Toro Personal Pace 22''
toro string trimmer
Redmax bp blower EB7001 & EBZ8001

Shindaiwa / Echo handhealds