Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
We have used both the bundle mailer services(Moneymailer) and sent out our own with a printing company. The Moneymailer worked but was not the kind of demographic we were looking for. We then selected our demographic and got exactley the customer we where looking for. I would never use the bundle services again. I was wondering if anyone has the contact info of any printing services that they liked. Mine was ok, but I suspect they did not send out our full order due to the number of call we received. We sent out 2500 and received 15 calls.
http://gotprint.com
Old 12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilatplc
They provide me with a list of new or recently purchased homes in the zip code that I purchased.They miss lead me and told me that it was not to target townhouse communities and apartments.
Val-Pak is different because they hit new and current homeowner as a mass mailing from what I understand.

Welcome wagon has a good idea and could work for are industry but not the way that they run there business, It's a joke.
In a sense it is a direct mailing provider for I did not have the addresses that they provide me with so that I can mail out my broacher's. I receive this list once in a blue moon instead of the once a month that my contract states!
The Val-Pak in my area absolutely comes to townhomes. I live in a townhouse community with at least 800 units and I get a Val-Pak just about once a month. Just threw one out yesterday.

How does WelcomeWagon work? I'm not real familiar with it I've only seen it once or twice. Why did they sell you a list? How much did they charge for the list alone? How much for maiing the cards? etc

Just curious.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLANDS
I signed 65 new lawns this year. 25 or so full serve. Mowing, cleanups Fert program. All lawns in my area are $40 and up.
Also several good size landscaping jobs. My mailing brought in about 150K.
I got a call just last month for a cleanup from somebody that said they had received my card in April.

I targeted lots of at least 1 acre, had to have an attached garage(ruled out small properties and trailers) also all new properties, (2 years or less).
My post card also went to ALL commercial properties in the township.

By having the mailing list on my computer I am able to delete any address that i do not want, or I think would be a waste of a card. I narrowed a
30,000 plus mailing list down to just over 10,000.
So if you mailed out 10,000 and signed 65 new ones, that means that .65% close rate and a 3-6% response rate? And you said it cost you around $2300? So it was $.23 per postcard bought and mailed?

So basically out of 6 calls 3-5 of them were tire kickers?

Also how big of lawns are you doing for $40? Do you mean you are doing 1 Acre+ plus for $40?

Well thanks for the info I really appreciate it..

- Josh

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Mow Right]So if you mailed out 10,000 and signed 65 new ones, that means that .65% close rate and a 3-6% response rate? And you said it cost you around $2300? So it was $.23 per postcard bought and mailed?

So basically out of 6 calls 3-5 of them were tire kickers?

Also how big of lawns are you doing for $40? Do you mean you are doing 1 Acre+ plus for $40?

Well thanks for the info I really appreciate it..

- Josh[/QUOTE
Most lawns are 10-15K $40-60 (Total lots are 1 acre)
Sorry I cant give you better numbers. Alot of the post cards went to newly built homes. Some of them haven't done anything yet but will. Several houses we installed the lawn(sod), sprinklers, landscape and also do the maintenance. So even though my close rate might be low the ones that I did close were good ones. I know we did one paver job of 9k that pretty much paid for the mailing.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Most lawns are 10-15K $40-60 (Total lots are 1 acre)
Sorry I cant give you better numbers. Alot of the post cards went to newly built homes. Some of them haven't done anything yet but will. Several houses we installed the lawn(sod), sprinklers, landscape and also do the maintenance. So even though my close rate might be low the ones that I did close were good ones. I know we did one paver job of 9k that pretty much paid for the mailing.
So how much gross of mowing a week did you pick up so far from the $2300 of postcards? I'm assuming around $2600 if you picked up 65 at $40 a pop.. thats sounds almost to good to be true (not saying your a liar, its just I would do anything to get an extra $2600 a week in gross) Did you hit the same area with several rounds of postcards? If so what did you pick up with your first direct mail investment?

Thanks for the help...

- Josh

Old 12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How does Welcome Wagon work? I'm not real familiar with it I've only seen it once or twice. Why did they sell you a list? How much did they charge for the list alone? How much for mailing the cards? etc

Just curious.[/QUOTE]

UpNorth;

Welcome wagon provides me with 3 products.

1, They provide me with add space on Realtor.com corresponding with the zip code that I purchased so when someone looks on what service are available in this area they see my add.

2,They send out a very nice booklet that they put together to the new home owners with in my zip code with my add in there also.

3,They provide me with a list of newly purchased homes in my purchased zip code with addresses so that I can send out my broacher's to them. The only problem is after looking in to this list its 2 to 3 month behind if I get it. Yes there are townhouses in there but more homes then townhouses, but there are no post cards that come with this service I provide my owen broacher to send out which I like better.

Its costing me $102.00 a month and I cant get out of my contract and they are not holding up there end of the contract. When I tryed contacting them to disuse the issue, no one wont's to talk about it and reminds me that the only way I can get out of the contract is to end my business!
1M/1M Liability INS, Limited landscape Cert (Round-up)/Landscape Contactor (first of the year)
Full Maintenance, Design/Install, Tree/Palm Maintenance
Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Right
So how much gross of mowing a week did you pick up so far from the $2300 of postcards? I'm assuming around $2600 if you picked up 65 at $40 a pop.. thats sounds almost to good to be true (not saying your a liar, its just I would do anything to get an extra $2600 a week in gross) Did you hit the same area with several rounds of postcards? If so what did you pick up with your first direct mail investment?

Thanks for the help...

- Josh
I added 65 homes this past spring. Most came from the mailing. 20 or so of them were newly built homes. Did they all come from the mailing I do not know. I should have a separate phone number for the advertising but I didn't.

Five years ago we only did a handful of houses, maybe 30, almost all of my work was commercial. Townhouse Dev, condos, office complexes, retirement
etc. Started going after houses 3 years ago with advertising, direct mail mostly. My residential count now is 175. Still a small part of my business but growing.
I said $40 was my minimum for houses most of the homes we pick up are $50-60
Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

where do you guys get the mailing list from that hit demographics from your area.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpslawncare
where do you guys get the mailing list from that hit demographics from your area.
I get mine from someone in real estate. They always have access to mailing lists. You could also try your local Republican club. Or you could just buy the service on line. I will look for that info.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I added 65 homes this past spring. Most came from the mailing. 20 or so of them were newly built homes. Did they all come from the mailing I do not know. I should have a separate phone number for the advertising but I didn't.

Five years ago we only did a handful of houses, maybe 30, almost all of my work was commercial. Townhouse Dev, condos, office complexes, retirement
etc. Started going after houses 3 years ago with advertising, direct mail mostly. My residential count now is 175. Still a small part of my business but growing.
I said $40 was my minimum for houses most of the homes we pick up are $50-60
Wow I really am impressed, is it ok with you if I edit the postcard you sent me and use it next spring? It looks very professional and I don't think I could make something like that myself, and its hard to scratch up an extra $50 or more so somebody could design it when I really think what you have would work very well....

I really appreciate your help and all, btw did you just change your avatar I could have swore you had a doe on it before ..

Thanks alot!!!

- Josh