Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
You would have to add an "0" after the 88 before I would waste my time
Exactly. for $88 its easier to just write it off as bad debt.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDeality
Exactly. for $88 its easier to just write it off as bad debt.

How about tossing a brick threw there new window
Old 12-06-2006, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Today , I just did a fall clean up job, It took 4 hours, the home owner called me 2 weeks ago and told me clean my yard , I said him I will do it after thanksgiving , he said ok, I cleaned his yard last year and charced him $200 anyway today I finisned the job there was no one in the home , I was leaving the home owner come , he was nice he said to me how are you? balabala balala... then he told me I did not call you, I said you called me two weeks ago , he said I think my sister in law called you , I said him ok forget the money I missed understand , leave , I dropped $200 on the table , I do not want to fight and try to get the money , what should I do
nothing, if I insist, I guess he will pay me but I did not say any thing just leave. bye the way I did great job
Old 12-06-2006, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guven
Today , I just did a fall clean up job, It took 4 hours, the home owner called me 2 weeks ago and told me clean my yard , I said him I will do it after thanksgiving , he said ok, I cleaned his yard last year and charced him $200 anyway today I finisned the job there was no one in the home , I was leaving the home owner come , he was nice he said to me how are you? balabala balala... then he told me I did not call you, I said you called me two weeks ago , he said I think my sister in law called you , I said him ok forget the money I missed understand , leave , I dropped $200 on the table , I do not want to fight and try to get the money , what should I do
nothing, if I insist, I guess he will pay me but I did not say any thing just leave. bye the way I did great job
Sister in law, huh???

Mercy!!! What's her phone #?? ---- get her on the "telly" right now!!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once enough of them stiffed me while feeding me some good old baloney story (and some sound right good), I got real tired of it. In the past 5 years I done heard every last story, and the ones I haven't heard are spin-offs.

Way I see things, so long they're paying for ANY kind of luxury (such as cable TV), then they can pay me, too.
If we had an agreement and I've honored my end of the bargain, now is the time for them to honor their end.

I got to where I don't care if they just wrecked their car and I can see the smashed automobile sitting in the driveway, because it is no more my problem than it is the Cable Co's problem, so I need to get paid.

But we all make mistakes and sometimes get caught, right?
Yup, guilty.

It's one thing if I really made a mistake, but it's quite another when it's more to the effect of having accidentally left myself wide open, and they just step right in and help themselves, that is dishonest and wrong!

While this is a great example of true honesty, I do well to remember the lesson so that the next time a customer leaves their back door wide open, I do NOT take advantage of them!
This is true honesty, looking out for someone when they've left themselves wide open.
Because what goes around...

So once somebody gets slick with me like that, it's almost always over.
Unfortunately I find most folks won't hesitate, the 9 out of 10 rule applies...
But a few won't do it, ever...
Those are my kind of customers.

Last edited by topsites; 12-06-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf343
layers? what brick/cement? I didn't know they did do that. I actually try to keep the renters to a minimum, magic number-0. What you are saying is a good idea though John. I will remember that for the future.

Sorry (Lawyers) Mr Perfect. I was on the phone(head set) when i typed it.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gamba
Sorry (Lawyers) Mr Perfect. I was on the phone(head set) when i typed it.
hahahahaha, I really did think you meant cement or brick, lol No you got the wrong guy I am faaaaaaaaaaar (far) from perfect. I wasn't correcting you I promise. I feel dumb for thinking it was cement/brick. hahahaha
Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

all clients under contract.

All contracts for continuing service require paid in advance status with a 7 day grace on late fee and 14 day grace on suspension.

Any side jobs, sod work, clean ups, whatever get a signed contract and a 40% deposit prior to reserving a spot in the schedule.

Renters pay in advance and have a 0 day grace on suspension.

Even credit card payments aren't perfect I have a former client trying to dispute the charges a month after she moved out claiming she didn't authorize me to cut her grass the last 4 times. We will see how scumby the CC company is.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJLandman
So I had this customer, she was renting a house and I guess was suppose to maintain the property herself. She hired me, we did a cleanup, mulch, and regular maint. Not bad for a renter...always paid etc. Anyway this yard was tiny Im talking 3.5 passes with my 48 and I ran around the outside with a trimmer, blew everything off...said and done in no time really, and it was right by a couple of my other accounts so I didnt move the truck. So this account wasnt that bad since she had us do the cleanup and mulch...it was money. So she canceled her service because of my dog pile letter. I sent her a letter, okay watever, (that was another issue, please dont bring it up again) she requests I send her the last bill. I send it, nothing, send the second one....the third one I lessin the time to pay and threatin to charge intrest. Comes back that the place is vacant.....she apparently moved out...The bill was $88.00....is it worth tracking her or the property owner down for the money or will I spend more money in time spent doing this and gas and other expenses....just yalls thoughts.

Jeff
OK here is what you do and I know this from experience. Call the home owner (the guy she rented it from) and tell him what is going on. Then tell him you are going to put a lein on the house. He will more than likely pay you out of her security deposit and if he has already given it to her he will track her down to get it back. The lein thing always works for me. The prop.owner does not want a lein on his house.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell113
OK here is what you do and I know this from experience. Call the home owner (the guy she rented it from) and tell him what is going on. Then tell him you are going to put a lein on the house. He will more than likely pay you out of her security deposit and if he has already given it to her he will track her down to get it back. The lein thing always works for me. The prop.owner does not want a lein on his house.
I don't belive you can put a lien on a property in which the property or an authorized agent for the owner did not authorize the work.....Thats they way I understood it in FLA, but it may have change or be different in yoru state....If you do put a lein on a property for work that was not authorized by the owner, then YOU are the one who will be in deep doo....