Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I agree. The oldest one was all metal and had been replaced twice back in the late 70's for that reason and the ratchet was bad. Then I bought a back up wrench about 80 to 82 and it had a plastic handle on it that cracked.
Maybe the new ones are better?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not knocking you, and I do apluade you for getting things done that you were due. I dealing with Circuit city right now. I orderd some stuff online top pick up at the store. well when I get to the store they items are not in stock and they won't give my gift card....for their screw up...

the crapsman torque wrench is 59-99 bucks.... you have replaced them what 1/2 dozen times....After the second or third time i would have requested store credit and bought a real torque wrench...Now your screwed you have two new torque wrenches that a gauranteed to fail, or worse yet fug up a project you are working on....
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only reason I bought crapsman in the first place was price and lifetime guarantee. I can honestly say that all my other hand tools have lasted except for the 1/2 x 3/8 adapter (we all twist them off) and the ratchets in some wrenches. Mt whole point was if it's has a warranty - then stand behind it. I may sell them on ebay or I may keep them. When I worked on automobiles I used the 1/2 drive torque wrenches almost everyday. Now I mostly use my 3/8 drive inch pound SK wrench. So I think the crapsman will serve me fine for now.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, if they wont stand behind their policy, you take em down....
Old 12-06-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't they still have the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back thing.

I know when I worked there they did and the thought was it is better to not piss of a customer than to inform them of their stupidity or deceit. We had people trying to return Craftsman powertools all the time with lifetime warranties. We even had catalogs back to 1970 so we could match the picture to the tool and prove to the people the date code of 1 meant 1971 not 1991. Cracked me up, people bringing in all metal drills claiming they had bought them two weeks before. Yeah, at a garage sale, but not in any store.

However, you are right, torque wrenches used to be lifetime. Kinda dumb on the part of Sears but true.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they only have a 90 day satisfaction guaranty where you can exchange or get your money back. There's only a 1 year warranty on the new torque wrenches. Just about all other hand tool has a lifetime. I had people tell me all sorts of crap - here's a few over the past months.

1-that's an air tool - it's not lifetime
2-that is not a hand tool
3-you had it replaced twice in the 70's - what are you griping about
4-you do not have the reciept
5-our records do not show that you are indeed the owner of these tools
6-we have no way of knowing if the wrenches had a lifetime warranty on them at the time you bought them - we can't go back that far
7-we do not make torque wrenches
They'll tell you anything not to warranty some items
Old 12-07-2006, 03:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouse
they only have a 90 day satisfaction guaranty where you can exchange or get your money back. There's only a 1 year warranty on the new torque wrenches. Just about all other hand tool has a lifetime. I had people tell me all sorts of crap - here's a few over the past months.

1-that's an air tool - it's not lifetime
2-that is not a hand tool

3-you had it replaced twice in the 70's - what are you griping about
4-you do not have the reciept
5-our records do not show that you are indeed the owner of these tools
6-we have no way of knowing if the wrenches had a lifetime warranty on them at the time you bought them - we can't go back that far
7-we do not make torque wrenches
They'll tell you anything not to warranty some items

Those three are the best. You got to love the edjumicated people in stores sometimes. I'm glad you got it all striaghtened out.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I went to return a 3/8-7/16" line wrench at sears yesterday.
The guy told me I couldn't return it because it was rusty.
What in the H*LL does that have to do with it.
I told him this has a lifetime warranty, and I want it replaced.
I told him to get his manager because I'm not leaving without my new one.
The manager came down several minutes later and ask him what the issue was.
The guy tells him I want to return my rusted line wrench.
So he come over and tells me the product has to be broken before I can return it, they just don't return them for rust.
So I told him it is broken, put it on a 3/8" bolt and put some presure on it.
So he did and the end flexed and the wrench slipped.
he ask me if the other guy ask me what was wrong with the wrench.
And I told him no. I told him it was broken and he went off saying it was rusty and they don't replace rusty tools.
Needless to say I walked out with my new line wrench.

I will tell you this, I will not buy tools from sears again.
I'm going to go look for a different line of tools.
For now on, I'll just replace my broken craftsman tools at sears as they break and buy New tools else where.
Dolmar MS-260 C Trimmer
Dolmar MS-260 C
Echo SRM210 Trimmer
Echo PB210 Blower
Green Machine 4600LE
Mclane 801-3.5I/P Edger
Dolmar 5100s Chainsaw
Echo CS-520 Chainsaw
Echo CS-345 Chainsaw
Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo, Probably a good idea. My tools were older than anyone that ever helped me. But what I don't understand is why all the resistance to a lifetime warranty. These people must have been taught to balk on replacing tools. Sears must have a class in where they show the clerks all the tricks of weaseling out of the warranty's.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouse
Echo, Probably a good idea. My tools were older than anyone that ever helped me. But what I don't understand is why all the resistance to a lifetime warranty. These people must have been taught to balk on replacing tools. Sears must have a class in where they show the clerks all the tricks of weaseling out of the warranty's.

no it is a few different things going on.

One, tons of people try to warranty things because they don't look pretty anymore which has no issue with functionality

second, tons of people pick up tools at garage sales and want to exchange them to get new ones at store #1 then return the new ones for cash to store #2.

Third, Sears has gone to the lowest price producer and the quality of the tools has declined markedly so they have to be tighter on the rules

Not to mention that they used to just ship the broken tools to a site in Tennessee (i believe) and bury them. Well, someone figured that out and was digging them up and re-returning them. I have no idea why they weren't at least selling them for scrap to a reputable metal recycler.