Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose
English man, not 14 year old girl IM ebonics... ne 1? take the extra 3 seconds and type normally, you aren't on the chatroom talking to teenagers here.

Funny, i read it a few times myself, and originally thought there was a typo and he meant "Fe" (iron) not Ne.

But anyway, make sure you blow off everything thoroughly, especially concrete. The the "Fe" stains light color BAD. And make sure you don't get any fert, especially fert with iron, in a pool!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok -- I always struggle with how to respond to the myriad of posts on lawnsite similar to yours.

Eager young people jumping to get into the business. I don't want to squelch young ethusiasm or deny the entrepaneurial spirit. However, wehn it comes to applications it is not something you can just jump inot. It is something you have to be a relative expert atbefore you ever begin! Much different than mowing or other type of lawn work - yet similar to others like hardscaping, etc.

Working for anothe company like you said you have is a great start. however, by the tone of your questions, you still have a lot to learn. If you messu p a yard when you are mowing or edgin git -- it'll grow back ina week. If you mess up a yard doing application it won't recover for months maybe - plus there is always the potential of causing serious enviromental or health problems to those around you. Not to mention the liability you are openign yourself up to.

My suggestion is ... get ready to learn lots - more than you even realize there is to learn at this point. There are about 1000 more questions than you don't even know enough to ask yet that have to be answered before you begin. I would sub out the work to someone for the next 3 - 5 years -- spend that itme learnign as mucha s you can and then you might be ready to start applying fertilizers and chemicals on your own.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lol, it took me awhile....ne 1 = anyone. yeah, i'm either way to old or way to slow. most likely both

but anyway, everything Lonnies just said
Old 12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

their are different types of iron, two that i'm aware of, one stains heavy, but gives quick longer lasting results, the other is less likly to stain, and doesn't give quit as long results. i can't remember what the two types are. i use (liquid) ferromec and roots brand and have not had a staining problem.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have you even checks your soil to see if you need lime. It could be that you can add other elements (that dont cause rust) that will help free up the iron that is already present in your soil. I have greened up lawns with Lime, Sulfur, Manganese. My point is, yes iron will green up a lawn, but it isnt always whats needed.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I with Lonnie and Mudstopper on this.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but it does not sound like you are ready or have enough experience to charge people for this service. Sub it out and learn as much as you can.