Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2006, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

See, this is why you have contracts.

I set the prices, not the customer. It doesn't matter if your 19, or 99.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

very true I learned my lesson early thank god
Old 12-03-2006, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where was this guy when the painter was scraping? Was the painter an inexperienced kid also?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

actully he was older dood prolly in 40s or 50s thats what this guy does rips people off
Old 12-06-2006, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

work looks good for your first project.

I only see one mistake your making.
If you want to get paid like the pros you gotta start acting like one, your work is worth what you make it. If you make it worth 30 an hour, thats what it will be worth, regardless of your age. Your age doesnt mean a thing, your work however does. You need a little more confidence, by looking at your work, you do have the ability to be worth 50-60 an hour, you just gotta start acting like it.
Theres only one kind of "Good" work and that is perfect. Is your work Good or not, you decide.
That job for any good contractor should have been $20000+
Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundScapesIncorporated
work looks good for your first project.

I only see one mistake your making.
If you want to get paid like the pros you gotta start acting like one, your work is worth what you make it. If you make it worth 30 an hour, thats what it will be worth, regardless of your age. Your age doesnt mean a thing, your work however does. You need a little more confidence, by looking at your work, you do have the ability to be worth 50-60 an hour, you just gotta start acting like it.
Theres only one kind of "Good" work and that is perfect. Is your work Good or not, you decide.
That job for any good contractor should have been $20000+
Apex, nice work. i would be proud of a job that nice.

i agree highly with groundscapes, people should judge the work, not your age. i've often thought about hiring a "middle-aged" salesman, because i'm also 22 and my best customer keeps cutting me off with larger projects, and i have every reason to think its an age issue. i've wished to be older since the day i graduated high school, so i could get more respect. but i'm very happy with everything i have.

i don't know what to charge for your job, but if you didn't get paid enough, live and learn. good luck!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

The age this is in fact true I went to school and taken courses and i live in small town with 2 other landscaping companies in it neither have any courses ect they been in business 2 years and ive been around alot longer ive had customers bluntly tell me im too young ive had customers i do lawn maintenance for and they sometimes will hire the other company for larger projects and the people that give them to you expect it done for nothing because were 22 and should be making min wage but as its mentioned all over htis site they dont realize about equip costs and everything else.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

guys i am 23 and have gotten the same bs with people.i don't do pavers yet (plan to soon) now just grass and landscape. i couldn't get a chance in the world on big accounts ,and i swear i have the best looking crew in my town. new equipment, matching trucks, uniforms etc. so i got a 40k year contract on the state highway where they cant turn me down . it has changed attitude's a little now to because of the state referral. my point is don't let it get you down. just find people who will not judge you (state highway median stripes have pavers to)

2007 duramax
2006 benz
2001 power stroke
1993 fuso dump truck
20ft pace enclosed
22 ft open
72in exmark
60in scag
36in scag
2615 mahindria tractor
Old 12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your work and reputation are good enough, then it truly wont matter what your age is. One bad habit ive seen with younger contractors is not knowing how important it is to do what you say you are. If you tell someone that you will be there at 9.00am on monday then you need to be there at 855am on monday. If you dont want to trim betty lous pyracantha because she is annoying and wont pay enough. That doesnt make it ok to not return her phone calls.