Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2000, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I recently bought a new Exmark Turf Tracer HP. I changed the blades the other day, but had a difficult time doing so. I've never changed blades on a walk behind. Do any of you guys have some tips that will help me change blades at a quicker pace? Kind of a petty question, but I could really use some help. Thanks
Old 03-13-2000, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One nice thing for walk behinds is a way to hold the front up. We use to hang a chain with a hook, set at the right height, from the rafters of our shed to hold it up. Also, a air impact gun is real handy for the nuts.
Old 03-14-2000, 03:01 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I use a set of steel car ramps.<p>With an open trailer put the car ramps on<br>the back of the trailer. Back your mower<br>onto the car ramps. Push the handle down and<br>secure to the mesh gate with a nylon tie down<br>strap.<p>
Old 03-14-2000, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Back the walk behind up to the gate of your trailer. Now push down the handelbars all the way to the ground, while holding the handelbars down lift up the gate and slide the mower handelbars under the gate, now rest the gate on the handelbars. The weight of the gate will hold the front of the mower up in the air. This all only takes about 10 seconds to do, works wonders for me.
Old 03-14-2000, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just lift the front end of the mower and place a 18&quot; or so stick to hold the mower up. I hold the blade with my left hand and remove the nut with a wrench on top. I takes about 1 min. per blade. Just be careful not to cut yourself on the blade. No problems so far in 9 years.
Old 03-14-2000, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do it like dfor except that I leave the WB on the trailer. lift the deck, slip in the support stick and wedge it tightly and safely. then I use a piece of wood to wedge the blade against the baffles on the underside of the deck whiled backing off the spindle nut above the deck.<p>leaving the mower on the trailer makes access easier.<p>one note, however, if your machine has the mulching baffles in place that could present a slight problem because you might not be able to wedge a piece of wood in place to hold the blade and it might be tough to hold with your hand. you might need two wrenches, one top and one bottom of the spindle bolt. good luck.<p>GEO
Old 03-14-2000, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lift the front and throw a jackstand under one corner of the deck. Use a comb. wrench on the blade side bolt and use a deep impact on the spindle bolt. 15 seconds per blade and you don't have to worry about &quot;blocking&quot; or &quot;stopping&quot; the blades from spiniing.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 03-14-2000, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

just use your trailer pussh the mower handle bars dowm to make the front raise up the slowly ease the mower foward and let it rest on the trailer lots of room and very safe