Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you but as long as you focus on your biz and make it better the better off you will be. these guys will always be out there a different group every year but they are the ones that provide us with the customers in july when they stopp showing up because it is to hot
Old 12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fiveoboy01 you are not alone,
I also have been in business for a short time and trying my best to built a repeatable company that I can be proud of.
I have been working full time for another company until I was released on 10/17 and was not ready to be full time at my business yet for I just don't have enough accounts.
So now when I out there trying to do my best I see that same thing you see and it drives me crazy but I know there's nothing I can do for this is a BIG lake I'm playing in and I don't think my little bass boats making much of a wake.

Just keep doing what your doing, sound like it something right
1M/1M Liability INS, Limited landscape Cert (Round-up)/Landscape Contactor (first of the year)
Full Maintenance, Design/Install, Tree/Palm Maintenance
Old 12-05-2006, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
Actually I don't think the 'hobbyists' bring the industry down...rather it's the legit LCO's with little-to-no customer service skills and/or business sense that bring us down. Really some guy mowing 4 lawns on the weekends is NOT your competition or anyone to worry about.
Unfortunately it's not one guy. I my area, it wouldn't surprize me if there were 100 guys doing it. That's 400 customers. That's a problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll say this a little harsh, but it's the way it is. The reason there are a million FBNers out there in the lawn care industry is the same as with the oil changing, tire, ect. industries. It doesn't take a degree to do.

The trick is that there is an 85% failure rate in our industry and those guys are 83% of it. You make your own choices who to battle and I think I'd rather put my small guns up against a FBNer rather than trying to tackle Wal-Mart or Target.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Five-O,
I am very new to being a LCO and I and very legit as you are. Though it is only part-time, I take pride by wearing a uniform so to speak. My business name and reputation are at stake.

My advice: Worry only about things that you can control...I do however understand where you are coming from.

DJ-
Old 12-05-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I don't care if someone else is legit or not, because it's not my problem.

MY problem is getting paid enough, and so long someone pays that, I don't care.
Fact is, most don't want to pay my rates.
So, the other guy needs to exist so they have someone who can do it for less.

There is a market for everybody.
What would have happened this summer when gas prices shot through the roof had there been an alternative fuel sourse? Let's call it "Brand X". Your car wouldn't run quite as well, but it was half the price of gas. Do you think people would have at least tried it? You bet. It would have put a dent in the gas companies and they would've dropped their prices to compete with brand X. As long as brand X is out there, prices will be kept low. Same applies to our industry.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those guys really don't effect the industry all that much. They will attract tightwads and cheapskates but not legitimate customers.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No reason to get mad... if you are running your business properly no one will leave you for someone with a craftsman ride on or a station wagon with a mower hanging out the back

They are most likely not doing a good job and only have cheap customers who wont even be happy after 1 year.

and then eventually all the dirty landscapers will do it fulltime and become legal at some point (maybe 1 year maybe 10) or they will go out of business

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry about it, hell at least he or she is trying to work. I get sick of paying for the dead azz's that want to sit around and Quote "I can't find a job" or "It's just not what I want". Build your business, do a good job & the rest will fall into place. Don't sweat the small timers, if they do hang in there and make it, good for them. Heck I started with used walk behinds I was having to work on every Sunday afternoon & still working a full-time job. It wasn't about making some extra $, it was about growth and failure. I slowly built the customer base and the rest is history. I now only do commerical work, have dependable workers and still hold my orginal job.