Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

SpazFam has got it nailed to the tee. I ran a large development company that I started from scratch and built into a huge machine in California......I was making huge bank.....and then I had a change of heart, a change of life direction.
I shut the doors in mid-stroke and moved to a new location where I knew no one and pursued a passion I have had since a kid....
Now, 13 plus years later.....I'm working for a living, have a whole new life, have re-invented myself, and am a different person than I was then.
I was scared to death to "face the world" outside my comfort zone and let go of my "sure thing". Would I change what I did? Do I have regrets? My answer is a resounding NO!. If the landscaping field resonates inside you, then by all means, go for it.......follow your gut feelings. Damn the torpedos.....face fear ( False Expectations Appearing Real ) in the face and walk through it.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy25
Spazfam-tried sending you a private message wouldn't except it. What do you think about all of the competition in are area??? How are you dealing with it?? Seems like everyone is losing there job in are area. I thought my job was secure boy did I think wrong. I am amazed at the number of NEW landscapers every year in are area. Been watching other guys in are area for a while. Wondering how some of them make it???? Thanks and Take Care.
New Guy sorry I haven't posted enough msg yet to be able to pm or be pm'd. Honestly I have not worried too much about the competition. I concentrate on delivering a good product to my customers. Make them happy more customers will come!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Newguy25. Full time firefighter here as well. Full time lawn care company owner as well. Hope you have great success in the lawn care industry.

Ace, has a firefighter taken some of your work? You seem like you have a problem with them/us.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing i can tell you... I started this year (Both feet, then the rest of me) late (didnt start till the end of May). But I wanted it, and still want it bad. You'll start out wondering what tomorrow will bring, then there will be a time when you just cant keep up, never stop learning, never stop trying. My wife brought up the whole "competition" thing, too... Not everyone does the same work, not everyone works the same way... I got a lot of customers from XYZ company b/c they didnt trim, or they ONLY mow, and wouldn't trim the hedges, etc. There will probably come a time when I cant do it all, but my point is, if you are willing to put in the effort, there is more than enough work out there. How many gas stations, how many fast food places, how many department stores are in your town, do you think they would hesitate to build another right next door??? Hell no! Theres room for all of us.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys! Wondering if you guys are aware of any grants or assistance in starting up a biz??? I bet there is one out there somewhere for people that are laidoff and wanting to start up a biz. Let me know if you guys know of any good sites for any. Thanks and take care.