Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
Mark, that are all TBA (which means if we get a good bid by cbs, nbc, abc, or espn) we'll televise it.... and make more money....
\The GA and BAMA games are tehonly ones set, right now...we'll take a wait and see approach....
Sounds like a plan!

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Folks,

We have a portable propane powered bullet heater that was left behind when some of the building were built. I don't use it, adn I was wondering if anyone was interested locally in picking it up for a song and dance.....

I'll walkt out to the garage and get the BTU numbers and Such., My Digicam gave up the gost, so not pics for a wile.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it is a Sure Flame Dual fuel 400,000 BTU heater. m/n S40T

ita about as big around as a 5 gallon bucket and it about 4 feet long.

I have uploaded a pic from the comapny web site.
and alink as well.

http://www.islandnet.com/~dlloyd/cdn...ucts&PID=s400t

new they are going for around 1500 bucks.....

Id take significantlyless before i throw it away or before I put it on ebay.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Senior gardener needed

Full-time year-round position

Senior Gardener

Position Summary:
Serves as a working team leader in support of the Grounds/Landscape section for the purpose of enhancing overall campus beautification and maintaining a safe, clean, functional and attractive living and learning environment.

Organizational Characteristics
This position reports directly to the Landscape Manager along with other 2 Gardeners II, 6 Gardeners, 9 Laborers, and 1 Equipment Operator positions. The nature of this positionís role within the organization is to schedule and perform landscape maintenance, snow and ice removal, campus-clean up, irrigation maintenance and repair, landscape installation and the operation of all grounds equipment in order to promote campus safety, aesthetics and distinction. Instructs and trains personnel under his/her supervision in the use of a variety of equipment and tools used in landscape maintenance.

Principal Accountabilities:

Serves as a working leader to perform all grounds and landscape maintenance and various other grounds related tasks. Instructs and trains personnel under his/her supervision in the use of a variety of equipment and tolls used in landscape maintenance.

Serves as a team leader, responsible for coordinating and performing duties within assigned zone to ensure that team goals are met. Leads and offers technical assistance to other Laborer positions on staff.

Serves as a working leader to perform all tasks related to installation of landscape materials and irrigation maintenance and repair.

Ensures that assigned area is clean. Coordinates, instructs and assists team members in removing trash and recyclable materials from the designated building drop points, outdoor receptacles and grounds.

Safely operate all grounds equipment including mowers, edgers, blowers, vacuums, tractors, etc. Instructs staff on safe and proper equipment operation. Monitors equipment maintenance needs to ensure proper performance. Operates irrigation systems, identifies irrigation problems and performs and/or coordinates repairs and winterization.

Assists in the coordination of and performs snow and ice removal of campus staircases, ramps and walkways. Remains available for weekend and overtime work as scheduled or needed for snow removal or other assigned work.

Impact:
Incumbent duties assure that the campus grounds are safe, functional, clean and attractive for students, faculty, staff and guests of the University. Complete and thorough performance of the duties can assure that the associated areas are well maintained. Incumbent must perform maintenance and new installations in a timely fashion in order to allow users continuous access to campus areas. Poor workmanship will not only leave the grounds looking poorly but can also be unsafe for those traversing the campus.

Interactions:
Incumbent interacts with the University community daily as work is performed in outdoor campus spaces adjacent to the walkway system and open areas. Inclement weather directly affects interaction as sidewalks, curbs and streets must be maintained for rapid access.

Fiscal Responsibility:
There is no direct fiscal responsibility for this position. However, the incumbent must keep accurate records regarding the use of fertilizer, seed and chemicals (which could be ~$5-10K annually). Additionally, the incumbent must use expensive equipment to perform work (which could be ~$10K annually). A complete understanding of the operation and use of that equipment is necessary to ensure that machinery will last for its projected life.

Physical Working Conditions:
The incumbent duties require physical effort to include heavy lifting, pushing and pulling and excessive crouching, stooping or lying in the prone position. The duties will involve intense strain on incumbentís sight and hearing. Duties will generally be performed in a non-sitting position. Incumbent must have high manual dexterity. Effort is exerted regularly for sustained periods of time and strain may be intense for frequent to moderate duration. Incumbent will experience prolonged and frequent exposure to dust, grease, extreme temperatures or severe outdoor weather conditions.

Requires one to five years of grounds and landscape maintenance experience, at least two years of which were as landscape lead man or crew leader.

Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certification: Requires valid and current driverís license from Maryland, Virginia or District of Columbia with experience /skill in the operation of pick-up trucks, tractors, skid-steer loaders, all-terrain vehicles and specialized grounds maintenance equipment desired. Knowledge of most common plant material and names and where to find information of those not familiar. Knowledge of work methods, equipment and procedures to assure health and safety standards and precautions are in compliance with District of Columbia, EPA and OSHA regulations and requirements. Capacity to work in seasonal weather conditions and the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.

Current union starting wage is 12.73 per hour
13 holidays, 10 vacation (+1 for each year of service up to 20 total days), Sick leave 12 days

http://www.georgetown.edu/home/working.html

Postion is not posted as of yet...Current job holder retires on Jan 3...

more info
call or PM 202 687 1053
Old 12-11-2006, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OH yeah.

GO GATORS...
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

First of all, how's everyone doing lately??

Second of all...I have a spare 20" tire to sell. My truck has 17" tires...get a flat...take the spare off (bought the truck in May, used, never really inspected the spare) to discover it's a 20-incher??? Not sure how it got there...anyway looking to sell it or even trade for a good 17" spare.

It's a Goodyear Eagle LS 275/55/20...looks like it's never touched the road. Let me know if there's any interest.

Also...anyone up for some sort of gathering this off-season? Mark I know you're 'retired' but you can still come
Old 12-13-2006, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take the truck back to the dealer and get the right spare.....

I wonder if teh truck had coustom rims at one time...and the dufus forgot he baught a 5th for the spare....
Old 12-13-2006, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought it used from Carmax...not sure if they will help. You're right though doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oy, the Gators. Lost to you guys in football, but it was a better game than I thought it might be. But we beat you guys in hoops. That helps.

As for being retired, I miss the business when it's nice out, not so much otherwise. Work from home a lot these days, but that's getting real old. Am thinking about getting up earlier and heading to the Metro station in Vienna by six, then hitting a gym somewhere in the District before showing up at the office. I've put on 15 pounds in the last year. Yikes.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mark I probably lost 15 pounds dragging tarploads of leaves across your old neighbor's lawn...

Your old house is still there...vacant...