Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have to give things away to sell to members of this site?

Just wondering, I see stuff people offer for sale and it seems people who price their goods at a reasonable price just end up sitting on it. People who make offers seem to lowball the heck out of the seller.

I have my mower up for sale here and not one bite, and I know the price is not bad on it. I haven't even gotten a lowball offer.... Whats up with that????

Maybe I should do a auction type post for my mower and get people here to bid up on it from like a starting price of 100$ or something.

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, People are dumb, They try to lowball you on your stuff that you have for sale. I can see offering you a resonable price. But when they say they will give you $10 for something that everyone knows costs $1000. People need to either offer you a resonable price or not post dumb a$$ comments.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

A lot of it probably has to do with location and whether or not anyone is even in need of that particular piece of equipment at that time. Even if I was in the market for a used Scag for example, I'd hardly drive to N.C. for it and it's not like you'd deliver it to Ms. either, right? Shipping on even a backpack blower would blow the price up to high to be worth the trouble...Those are my guesses as to why not much of that happens here.

04 Toyota Tacoma
05 5x10 trailer
04 Exmark Lazer Z 60" Ultra-cut
91 Lawn Boy S21ESR commercial
06 Husqvarna 125L trimmer
08 Husqvarna 326ES stick edger
06 Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
06 Maruyama EHT23DS hedge trimmers
06 Fabworks OEM trimmer rack
Old 12-13-2006, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually, in markets, there is no such thing as a "reasonable price". It is in the eye of the beholder. The market sets the price, not whatever value you assign to it. If my "reasonable price" for my car is $25,000 and nobody is willing to pay me more than $15,000, which is more reasonable, my conviction of what it's worth or the price someone actually pays? A 25 y/o man might find $25,000 reasonable for a BMW convertible, while a 65 y/o grandfather wouldn't want it even at $15,000.

The reason you're getting low offers is that this is a very small marketplace, and an imperfect one at that. They are simply testing the market. For all they know you may be desperate to raise some cash quick and will part with something for a ridiculous price.

Try ebay if you want a more broad selection of buyers who will bid the price up. But it takes some time to build feedback so that buyers trust you and pay top dollar.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on people looking for a ballpark price for something. You will find that a mower someone else owns is worth nothing, and a mower someone owns themselves is worth double what a new one is.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also remember almost everyones season is coming to an end. They want to hold on to some capitol for starting back up in the spring
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can relate. Try selling a few things over the net & I either have to laugh at the offer of $20 or think why would you pay that much plus ship it - go by new but good for me.

I just bid on a 165K BTU Reddy Heater. At my local farm supply store - the heater is actually cheaper there than on ebay. Plus shipping was around $75.00. Final bid went for $305.00 plus shipping of $75.00. My area - three stores carry the heater - all our the same price - $329.00 plus tax = $352.00. I have a 20% card to use at one store - beats ebay's price.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ron,

I looked that up after seeing this thread. I think you are a cool guy and all, but I also think you know I'm the type of person that doesn't mind saying what's on my mind either. So here goes.... (and try to take it 'lightly'... lol)

3 yr old mower + 1300 commerical hours = $5,000 (?)

You on crack? As GW would say... "that's sum fuzzy math right there..."

I'm ribbing you some here, but in a way being honest too. Obviously your SCAG dealer didn't think it was worth $5,000... else you would have traded it I'd say.

Crappy as it is... the private market is not likely to pay you any more than your brand name dealer offered you for it. Maybe a few hundred, which would have been his profit. But the key here being, he sells for a living and knows about what the threshold of pain is for buying used.... AND HE KNOWS MOST CASH BUYERS TYPICALLY ONLY SPEND SO MUCH (under 5K).... and that most people will FINANCE A NEW ONE BEFORE SPENDING THE 5k THRESHOLD ON A USED ONE...... AND THAT MOST BUYERS WITH $5,000 OR MORE AVAILABLE FOR SUCH PURCHASES CAN USUALLY EVEN MUCH MORE EASILY AFFORD NEW.

Frankly, it's sad, but it's hard to get $5,000 or more from a practically new 'flagship' model. I know, I've been there. For the most part it is just best to keep machines and get serious use out of them until they have pretty much reached that lower retail point where they almost stop loosing retail value. Then you've got your money's worth out of them and can get a bonus out of them when they go.

Keep it for a backup for a few more years, or set it up for specialized use and use it a few more years... else be prepaired to sit on it a long time or get your feelings hurt taking less for it than you want out of it.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ron we sell stuff all the time. I don't take it personal when people lowball me. However they suddenly realize they are standing there talking to themselves and I am gone back to work. I don't need to waste my time on these guys. I tell people on the phone what the true condition is and what the price is if they aren't willing to pay the price then don't waste both of our time. I sell stuff to make money not to give it away. I don't run a fire sale.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Theres no incentive to buying on a forum because its not safe at all...Someone can hide there identity easily and rip everyone off

You have to be as cheap or cheaper than ebay prices (yes its a lot safer than a forum)

If you are selling something as "local pickup"Like almost every thread is then Your prices need to be lower since you arent willing to ship the item and your target mkt is a lot lot smaller

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king