Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell him...look Big Al, you have been a customer of mine for 8 years...you should know that I would never take advantage of you....and I am actually hurt that you would think this.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure that he knows that you are not screwing him in any way shape or form. If he is a important client, meet with him to talk face to face.

6.5'x10.5' dual axle trailer-FULL of equip.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I would tell him...look Big Al, you have been a customer of mine for 8 years...you should know that I would never take advantage of you....and I am actually hurt that you would think this.
That's what I'm thinking too...well just call him and go over the charges so he can see how you arrived at that price.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantoo
Jodi, tell him your willing to gamble a little. Tell him to write a post dated check for the full amount. Maybe two months from now. Tell him that by then the money will likely be the least of his worries.
He can't take it with him anyway.
That's the trouble with people like this, you lose time and money trying to make them understand why you have to charge what you have to charge. It's their lawn I'm sure at some point they used to do the lawn work and know how much work it is. They don't realize how much money we have spent on equipment so that we can work much faster and of course more productive that they can. They see you on the lawn for 30 minutes and think wow that was fast they must make a killing.
Remind him that soon you will likley be at his funeral and you won't bill for your time spent there.
O man thats funny..

and I 110% agree with the last paragraph.. customers often base things on how much time I spend there...

I just had a lady (manager actually) flip out on me the other day for a job that would take 6 man hours, and I bid it $235 because I really wanted the job...she thinks that is crazy because her 17 year old wouldn't make that much money per hour.... she thinks I am way over priced..
felt like telling her... not my fault your 17 year old bum doesn't make any money..

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure
Jodi,
first i would ask why he felt he was being taken advantage of. It could be a simple misunderstanding . Once you know why you will have a better idea of how to resolve the issue.
bang find why he feels this way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
Tell him to pay what he thinks is a fair amount and wish him a Merry Christmas. That seems to work for us with older people....we win some and we lose some but we usually keep the customers, which is our goal.

great way to make him feel like hes in charge and the balls in his court he may then feel the work was worth the money and pay....he may have just felt like you guys had all the control and he wanted some of it back
Old 12-14-2006, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
he thinks he was overcharged on his leaf cleanup. (he wasn't though)

Tell him trees get bigger every year as he has gotten older .
Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
Tell him to pay what he thinks is a fair amount and wish him a Merry Christmas. That seems to work for us with older people....we win some and we lose some but we usually keep the customers, which is our goal.
I can't think of any other kind of business that would take this route. Might be the easy way out, but it should be the last resort. I have never told anybody that and always got paid in the end and didn't lose the customer. If I didn't think I deserved what I charge then I would find another line of work--just talking about me personally. I don't gouge people so I know I am charging a fair price and therefore don't need to let the customer tell me what is fair. When the elderly go to a restuarant are the told to pay what is a fair amount or to pay the price stated on the menu? The thing is you have to be upfront with these people so there are no supprises--even if you may face rejection. Hey Mr Bunker this leaf cleanup could cost 250$ for all I know. We will just have to see how long it takes me--do you still want it done?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

You have to give an estimate for work that people want done if you don't want to deal with the B/S they will give when they are surprised by the bill. I like the break his hip thing best though.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Along with some of the other posts, researching how much was charged for the same services in the past would be a ballpark indicator of any inequity on current charges. Unless there was some type of major change in the contract, equipment or landscape the cost to Big Al should remain pretty consistent.

I am curious now on the comparative rates for the last couple of years.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have an old rich dude with the same forgetful tendancies. A bit of a "ball buster" about prices. When he has a pricing issue I remind him of his past bills with a copy of all the invoices that he has paid over the years. Whenever a price increase has occurred he is given notice. I think the guy just likes to see that I am a step ahead of him. He has never argued pricing after I have responded to his requests. Now I will say that your old dude sounds a bit adversarial and wanting to fight with the way he feels taken advantage of but my old guy is all business.
Since it is the end of the year a quick visit to the house along with all your relevent paperwork should quiet him down and make hime realize that you did not take advantage of him. Then you should document this occurance and remind him of it over the next few years, should he live that long.