Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2001, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Retaining Wall

I'm building a fence and retaining wall. What I want to do is build a retaining wall out of concrete cinder block 2' tall and 60' long And on top of this fence build a 6' tall wooden fence. My question is how to attach the fence to the retaining wall so that it won't fall over in a storm?
Old 08-02-2001, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recomend a segmented concrete retaining wall, ie Pisa II or Versalok and set the fence posts 42" in the ground behind the wall.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with digin -

DO NOT use cinder block for a retaining wall. They were not designed for use as a retaining wall.

And like digin said, put the fenceposts behind the wall, not in it.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to be uppity here, but isn't there a Homeowners Forum? If you're a LC and contemplating Cinder blocks , good luck! As far as sinking fence posts, we prelocate for cylindrical forms behind the wall and pour in when required. Most engineering specs will direct you away from attaching to the walls as they are "as built" and not spec'd for the added load torque of a fence.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

If you are a experiencend mason, then you may be able to build a nice wall out of cinder and then use brick/stone/verneer to give it a beutiful look. There are still people doing this, but they are true craftsman. Need a LOT of drainage behind a non-flexible wall like that, and it is not a weekend project.

Not really sure what you mean by cinder block wall though....if you are going to dry stack blocks, then please, DON'T.

steveair
Old 08-05-2001, 12:48 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Ok let's look at a cinder block wall, first you need a stable base, just gravel won't work, so you need to pour a footing, start excavating so you can get at least a 6" base, then concrete, here is about $85 per cu yd minimum 3 yds so more $$, along with rebar to hold it together two # 5 rebar should work. Now to install the block, opps forgot the rebar you need to come up between the block to lock it in, this should be bent at 90 degrees and wire tied to your other rebar. Ok back to the block, start mixing motar and setting your ends make sure you use a level and stagger your blockstring line the block you really should start at both ends that way you can keep them level easier. don't forget to fill your blockwith mortar as you go up ( to lock in the rebar you installed in the footing).

Now for the fence I would recomend you down 36" below the base of your wall and hold it at least 1 foot off the wall with a 6' high fence I'd like to see 18" dia holes. If the soils are poor you might need to go deeper but for most soils here it should work.

If you want the fence on top of the wall I'd go with the post poured in to your footing and a footing at least 18" deep and 24" wide. hold your post back off the face of the wall 3" and cut block around them, your post still need to be 36" deep. Increase your rebar in the footing to 4 and cage it this will stop cracks.