Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2001, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Workers Comp Refund?

I thought this year I would hire some help......I had all the elements in place workers comp, payroll service , etc. After four months...I give up on workers ..........I do belive I am staying solo after this nightmare.........Do you know if I cancel the workers comp policy I will get a refund for basicly unused months?
Old 08-02-2001, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Every state has different WC laws so you would have to check with your state or your insurance company. I do know that a lot of WC policies are based on the amount of the payroll, with a minimum to be payed. So you probably wouldn't get a refund if your payroll for the year is under the minimum. If you payed more than the minimum and your payroll was under that, then you would get money back, assuming your state works like this also.
Call your insurance company tomorrow and ask them.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In IN once you purchase a workers comp policy, you are committed to it for the full year, whether you use it or not. There is no prorata calculation for unused periods. This was my experience in the past, but check to see if state policy has changed.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in New Hampshire if you cancel your comp insurance because you no longer need it, you will recieve an self audit from the insurance company based upon your past payroll. Last season we recieved a $326 return due to this.

Mike
Old 08-05-2001, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't be afraid to ask your insurance carrier. They have to be honest and follow the laws of your particular state. Or... call the state WC department yourself. While I don't know the web site, I know you can locate them on the web somewhere (I'm not all that web savy, and there are others here much more intelligent in that area).