Register free!

Old 08-01-2001, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Acclaim Extra on bent grass putting greens

Label says don't do it. My chems supplier says every course in Cincinnati does it. Anyone out there have any precautionary statements before I fry my greens.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:44 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
You might want to spend some money to access the forum at this site: http://www.turfnet.com
Old 08-01-2001, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your nuts if you do it,burn them,and your out of business.I' know guys using them on tees at 7/16",but not on greens.Are you using pencross?If you have a nursery or practice green,run a test strip,and see what happens,if its OK,then you know-if it burns,go lighter or cut your losses.You have crabgrass in your greens?
Old 08-04-2001, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used Acclaim Extra at 3 oz per acre with a little iron to reduce yellowing and had great results on poa/bent greens. I've heard of some using Drive by BASF at .075 oz per 1000 with great results. I would definatly experiment on a test plot with either product.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Dimartino et al:

You may recall from some of my posts back in March that I bought a golf course and the chems were way behind from the last 2 years. I valued the advice of my chems distributor and did not go with any preventer such as Dimension in the Spring. I now have crab in some of my greens but I could live with it if I had to. After reading the label I am very leary. I spot sprayed with a backpack sprayer and was succesful in killing the crab but it was very hard on the Bent. But of course, now I have more crab. After rereading the label I found it to be confusing and inconsistant. I definitely mixed it too strong but my application was light.

My salesman has built and grown in numerous golf courses and I trust his opinion and I believe the experience I had in spot spraying has brought me to some wisdom on fine tuning this particular chemical. I am also aware of the Iron mixture with Acclaim to combat discoloring. But.....I really don't want to take the risk of a postemergant on putting greens in the heat of the summer.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

OSC,I will be using pre-M on our greens for the first time in 11 yrs next spring.This year has been bad for crabgrass,worst in my memory.I've got a few crabgrass spurts coming out on the edges of 3 greens,nothing I cant live with,but Ive never,ever needed to put pre-m on the greens,only the the collars,due to less water being available.Good luck getting yours under control.I always got the occasional chickweed on my #7 green,but not this year.
Old 08-05-2001, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Osc, I have also had problems hurting bent spot spraying. It seems no matter how light you apply, you still see the bent stress. Last year I applied Scotts Crab/Goose Preventer, which is Ronstar/Betasan and saw little to no breakthrough. Did nothing this year and have started to see both crab and goosegrass. The problem I see with Dimension in the spring is that if you need to reseed , it can make it difficult. Acclaim Extra at ten day intervals has worked in the past, so I'll try that. Good luck and let us know the results.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Right now it's 95 degrees plus in Southern Ohio almost every day. Our greens are built with pure masonry sand and nothing else in the root zone. Hard rains flush nutrients like a toilet and they dry out very quickly afterwards in the baking sun. I have used a wetting agent on the problem areas and I spoon feed through the summer with liguid TurfIron and a liquid foliar fert called Gary's Green. No granular fert as to feed any pythium.

Right now my greens are GREEN and appear to be healthy. I had a severe case of brown patch which resisted 2 apps of fungicide. On the 3rd app I used Prostar which has arrested the problem.

After batting all of that, I don't want the turf stress or the mental stress of a post-m. Unless I do it with an Eye dropper. I have time to get down on my hands and knees.