Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2001, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Syringing

Do you guys believe in syringing the lawn during the dog days of July and Aug? I have all my lawn zones come on for 6 minutes at 4:00 PM to cool off the grass and soil surface. I completely water every day between 3:00 and 8:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolute NO_NO for general residential and comercial turf!

Just went to Rutgers last week and heard it again. Nothing has changed. It can help to create an environment favorable for diseases to possibly manifest themselves. It will not cause disease on its own.

It aids in keeping the turf damp for a long enough period of time till it drys the next morning. This extended damp period can then be sufficient for diseases to make their assault.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Harold, 5-6 minutes at 4:00 PM can't keep thinhs dry for too long, can it? My understanding is that taking a little stress out of the plants is a good thing.

Did the folks at Rutgers talk about specific diseases?
Old 08-06-2001, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Relieving stress has never hurt plants, man or beast, especially me. Although it does provide some cooling, that late in the afternoon can leave the turf damp. Especially on high precipation spray zones or large nozzled rotors. Right now, your 6 minutes is about 20% of the daily amount for some of my rotor zones. It's 75% of the time I run my sprays. Thats a lot of water to add.

I belive the disease risk is not worth the stress reduction.

I have pulled a 180 this year and am working with daily watering, rather than every other day which I've recommended for years. Am doing it on my own lawn and several other non-water restricted residential and commercial sites. Zero problems and it's hot, dry and humid here and I've not had problems yet. I've simply cut the run time in half from the every other day time. I start after midnight and aim to finish by 7 am.

The best stress relief is a cold beer or gin & tonic at about 5 or 5:30 in the afternoon and simple watch the turf from your window.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah Harold, me too. I've gone to watering 7 days for the first year too. My zones run anywhere from 20-35 minutes, depending on sun and coverage. I'm willing to take the risk and see what happens.

My LCO (fert only, I cut), says things look good now after spending the summer up until now with the weeds. Except for some red thread, I'm quite green in spite of the very hot summer this year.

And if you're buying, I'll have Tanquerey