Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you guys think?

Hey!
My name is Derek and im 16, I've been in the lawn maintenace business for 3 years now and have had pretty good success with it. I started with a borrowed tractor and 5 yards and now im up to 30 accounts with 2 commercial walk behinds and a nice plow truck. I could be doing a lot more business, but the lack of a drivers license has been holding me back, i get that in the spring.i want to continue with the lawn maintenace through college and i have been looking into Penn tech's Lanscape/Nursery Technology program. I want to get into landscape contruction as a career and eventually own a nursery. What do you guys think? Is that a good general plan for what i want to do? any input would be a great help.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Excellent idea you can’t go wrong with an education in this field! I hear Penn State has a good program I know a couple people there and they say it is a good school for the landscape construction/design. Be careful not to get too many customers if you plan on going away to school it can get rough when you have to come back every week in the spring and fall to take care of them!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

The school is only about an hour and 15 minutes from my house so it wont be that big of a deal to tavel back and forth
Old 12-26-2006, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I am currently in school right now majoring in Landscape construction/design and it is about a 1 Ĺ hours away. Trust me coming home every weekend in the spring and fall to take care of your accounts plus your school work it can get tough!!!! Just keep that in mind. Other than that I would defiantly continue your education in this field it will pay off in the long run!