The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2006, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

up close and personal:
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2006, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

look how well previous drivers judged curbs..........and the bling bling, thirsty? never thought i'd have 22.5's
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2006, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

NICE truck tthomass!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Depending on the engine a exhaust brake works fairly well but works the best is a electromagnetic shaft brake. Its expensive but you flip that on it will almost lock up the wheels.

Got to remember a exhaust brake is like shoving a potato up the exhaust pipe to cause some back pressure. A JAKE brake uses a plunger to hold the exhaust valves open to let the engines friction slow the truck down.
Sorry...this is off topic, but nearly this entire thread has went that way.

Gravel Rat, have you ever driven a truck with a Telma? I've driven several of them...at least twice a week. I've driven trucks with Telmas, true "Jakes", Allison transmission ******ers, and pac-brakes. By far the BEST is the transmission ******er. Of course, the downfall is you're toasting your tranny fluid on a regular basis. You can watch the tranny temp rise 100 degrees no problem. The cheapest and LEAST effective is a pacbrake. It's better than nothing, but not much. Next least effective is a Telma. I don't see the hype with these. They are expensive, draw 200 AMPS when all four stages are activated, and don't work all that well. Our newer trucks are interfaced with transmission that when Telma is activated the transmission downshifts. Our first stages is also activated when the "gas" pedal is released and then at 3psi, 7psi, and 10 psi brake pedal pressure.

To me, the clear winner is a Jake. It's relatively affordable, and very effective. Our newer trucks are also interfaced with the transmission to downshift. You can also select off, low (2 cylinders), med (4 cylinders), high (6 cylinders). I've driven trucks of the same weight with ALL four of these aux braking devices and will always take a JAKE equipped truck anyday.

Also, using a Jake even on LOW when it is slick is both dangerous and STUPID!!! When raining I will cut down to 4 or 2 cylinders. When on high with a new truck with a strong jake and very hard raining...I HAVE had a 65k lb truck break traction.

MOST of my experience is with fire apparatus with over 16 years driving experience with alot of Mack and Ford tandem dump truck experience also.

Gravel Rat...you've been on tthomass *ss since the beginning of this thread...get off you soap box.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

things got off to a bad start but i think its all good now........thanks for your post FIRESCOOBY..........the point of the thread originally (and still) is to provide pictures along the way and see the truck come together as well as provide information and answer questions on this system since it is becoming more and more popular in the industry and more and more people are gaining interest.........Happy New Year everybody!

-system is supposed to be delivered within the next 2 weeks, then the installation........i'll keep the pictures com'n
Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Truck looks nice! What made you go with a blue paint job for the truck? Is that the color of the other trucks in your fleet? How many miles does the truck have on it?
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can see all the specs on the first page of the post..........just ignore the bickering that followed. But anyway:

128,000 miles
6-spd manual Fuller tranny
254" wheel base

The company color is blue for the most part. Shirts, jackets etc are blue with the logo. I knew when I started it was the color I wanted becuase #1 I favored it and #2 nobody else has it.

The rest of my "fleet" is a '02 Chevy 2500hd (white), 10,000GW dump trailer (black), and a 7x16' inclosed trailer (white).
Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

look forward to seeing the finished product. it will be nice. congrats
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Any updates? Truck is looking good so far. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

********UPDATE**********

Bucks is done with fabricating and the SNG ships out Tuesday. I am trying to get them to put D rings in the floor to strap equip down but now that it is complete I'm afraid it would be a PITA and they would charge me something crazy to want me not to do it but if so then they'll make out nicely.....but yeah its ready to ship. I wanted to have the truck complete this coming weekend but it will be the following. I may still not have the underbody boxes though as they have become a big PITA trying to locate large boxes or you do and they want to rip you off.

Dump body not pictured but here is the box......had them email me to make sure the paint matched:
Attached Images