Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2006, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Time out- what brand of 2-cycle are you partial to. If exmark has redmax and you want echo then that may not be the best for you. I would weigh the total package of what the dealer has to offer you. You must have done some homework by now to bring the list of brands down to 3. Witch brand do you prefer. Then see what other lines they carry too. And demo, dont just settle.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams LC View Post
Time out- what brand of 2-cycle are you partial to. If exmark has redmax and you want echo then that may not be the best for you. I would weigh the total package of what the dealer has to offer you. You must have done some homework by now to bring the list of brands down to 3. Witch brand do you prefer. Then see what other lines they carry too. And demo, dont just settle.
Found Ya and answered your ? about the 2600 trimmer.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 12-30-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have time for down-time period. Anytime I need anything my dealer is freakin awesome. As an example, they replaced my entire deck in two hours and loaned me another commercial mower to keep me going for the two hours that would have certainly been down-time.

Soooo no mater what brand I buy, it will ONLY be from a man that makes thing happen...no matter what. = NO DOWN TIME!

Good luck on your purchase...for what it's worth I'm buying an Exmark in Feb.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also are those times from you shop? how about drive time when you in the field. Is there one that is in the middle of you routes?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have 3 good brands, you need to take more into account than distance to dealer, what about price? Will you be financing? if so is someone offering 3yrs no interest like say Ex-mark?
I've never been partial to Scag, but they are good machines.
I demo'd a Hustler last year and was very impressed.
Exmark has been an industry standard for years.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to look to dealer support, i agree with Lawntime no excuse for downtime you need a dealer who cares for you if i breakdown in the field i can call my dealer and he will bring me a demo and pick mine up, the three mowers are all top of the line, so now find the best dealer...ps a bad dealer could put you in one heck of a messssssssss......Marks Mowing Service
Old 12-31-2006, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
Buy the one you want. I wouldn't let that small of a drive make the difference in my choice of mowers.
Ditto....

And on a side note, I try my best to "read up" and "keep up" the best I can, and at this point, I think I would have to give the 'nod' to Scag with the Velocity Deck, or eXmark with the UltraCut only.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Visited my local Hustler dealer today ... a lot of nice new machines, and a great shop. Not only did he emphasize the quality of the machine, the warranty, their availability of parts ... but if I ever need to take it in, they always have a loaner for you to use to eliminate downtime. Very local owned dealer who has at least 3 generations working there. He said since there is a Hustler distribution center here (Indy), he can have about anything he doesn't have on the floor in a day or two.

He also pushed Stihl hand helds too.

This guy is 5 miles from my house ... I like that too

• Next up:

I'm going to visit the Scag dealer tomorrow after breakfast with the guys, and see what they have to offer there. I'll be looking at the same things ... shop, inventory availability or ability to get in a reasonable time, loaner if my mower is in the shop ... etc.

I think either one will be a great mower ... and the fact that both of these dealers are close to home and my main area of work is a great thing. The eXmark dealer is further away ... and I must say that I have not read enough good things on the new Triton deck to impress me.

The Hustler dealer talked about putting together a package deal, so we'll see where that goes. I am sure the Scaq guy probably will too.

Like I said above ... Grandfather, Father and Son (25) all have come through this Equipment dealer since it was first opened by the Grandfather ... and I really like supporting local businessmen ... as I am one myself.

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

scag

I run scag turf tiger and it is a great machine.I do not know where you are located but the dealer is everything. I am in Greenfield a(30 minutes east of Indy and I would drive 45 minutes to get to my dealer @ superior mowers and more.(sorrey for the plug but threse guys are great!!!!!!!!)
Old 01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like you have been spending alot of time on this decision. How many hours have you invested into this? I was reading through and and It looks like you leaning towards hustler. Are you buying a bagging system for it? Have you seen the bagger for it? Personally I think they are to tall on the machine. That was a huge reason why I bought a lazer over the dixie chopper. I have a bunch of Bradford pears and other fruit trees that I mow around and from personal experience you dont know until it's to late if you clip a low branch. I can lean over the side of the gas tank on the exmark and get under some pretty low branches. Good luck let us know what you buy.