Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Reasons Why Not to use work tunes.

I stopped allowing worktunes including for myself and gave everyone regular hearing protection to see what happened and it was just what I thought. Better quality work by far and quicker too. The bad thing about not using them is employee moral can drop. So I will be trying to find a happy medium for next year. People stop and change channels for 30 seconds at every job times that by 3 people 1.5 mins each job now times that by 8 jobs 12mins a day times 5 days and what you have is a whole hr of work per week lost. Or 4 hrs a month 28hrs a mowing season. So times that by $50 an hr thats $1,400 a year lost or 4 trimmers not including all the battery cost, so add another $8 per week $32 a month so a blower a year. So in 5 years thats enough money to start a new residential crew. Think if you run multiple crews like 3 thats almost $5k a year down the drain. Another bad one to add is Sat radio to the trucks because employees want to hear the rest of what the comedian has to say(including myself).

I may get blasted for this but really if you sit down and think about how to improve profits you would be amazed where money is being wasted.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

happy employees = good work? I don't man, mowing 7 hours straight with no music, yikes!
2006 Stihl BR600
Echo Solid shaft trimmer
Old 12-31-2006, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompletePropertyCare View Post
happy employees = good work? I don't man, mowing 7 hours straight with no music, yikes!
Music=bad work because minds wonder and I have been guilty of this myself. Try it yourself and see what happens. Now on large commercial accounts it is no problem but when you get to 3 acres and less then it is.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

perks

no radio no work. We love r work tunes help us work all day
2-26" Exmark Metro
1997 F-350 4X4 Dump Truck power stroke
2007 Fuso 4x4 Dump Truck
2001 F-250 4X4 crew cab Short bed
2005 Toyota 4X4 Tacoma & Blizzard plow
2-S-300 bobcat skid loader
5240 Kubota 4x4 Cab Tractor
Toro D-580
LT Rich Z Max
Perma Green
Old 12-31-2006, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know exactly what you mean, radio sucks, always tuning in another station.
Perhaps the solution is MP3 players or ipods. We tried Worktunes, but they got poor reception, and I got tired of watching guys stand there tuning for half a minute. We switched to ipods under regular muffs, no more fiddling, happy employees, happy boss. Plus you can get books on mp3.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
I know exactly what you mean, radio sucks, always tuning in another station.
Perhaps the solution is MP3 players or ipods. We tried Worktunes, but they got poor reception, and I got tired of watching guys stand there tuning for half a minute. We switched to ipods under regular muffs, no more fiddling, happy employees, happy boss. Plus you can get books on mp3.
Bingo!!!!!

I would be willing to buy ipods and they could give me a list to download for them.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

i agree with the iPods over the traditional tunes.

I on the other hand prefer comfortable earplugs. I know that my senses are dulled by the unit and the hearing protection so I prefer to not be distracted by music when operating potentially dangerous equipment.

I've found that when listening to music, a lot of people tend to zone out a bit and lose that edge that keeps us from killing the sprinkler head, scalping the corner, blasting a window or not noticing your buddy with the trimmer (and his tunes on not notice me) and pinch him against a building or blast him with clippings.

my $0.02

My Girlfriend wants a Lawnsite T-shirt so that I'll pay attention to her some of the time.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are considering the same idea. We get a promotions catalogue that has neat ones throughout it. You can have company ones made for perks and bonuses. Another write off.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOLMARatOS View Post
i agree with the iPods over the traditional tunes.

I on the other hand prefer comfortable earplugs. I know that my senses are dulled by the unit and the hearing protection so I prefer to not be distracted by music when operating potentially dangerous equipment.

I've found that when listening to music, a lot of people tend to zone out a bit and lose that edge that keeps us from killing the sprinkler head, scalping the corner, blasting a window or not noticing your buddy with the trimmer (and his tunes on not notice me) and pinch him against a building or blast him with clippings.

my $0.02
That is exactly what I was meaning! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Green L&L View Post
We are considering the same idea. We get a promotions catalogue that has neat ones throughout it. You can have company ones made for perks and bonuses. Another write off.
Great Idea!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know what you mean, the time tuning eats up alot of time at the end of the week.

When I was at a supervisor at my last job(production fab shop). We found that we achieved more production by allowing radios in the shop. We never would allow talk radio type programing cause minds would wonder off and production would slow. We got even better results by having one radio running through the intercom so no one would be spending time switching stations all day.

This year I'm going to be running a MP3 player with my peltors so no switching channels. Also, i see where Elevex has a radio type ear muff that has push botton programable tuning. Anyone use them?

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment