Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Dump Truck VS Dump Tailer

Which would you choose dumping truck or dumping trailer? Why?
Yes a trailer would probly be cheaper but I dont think it would be practical. If you need equipment with you where would you hall it?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer dump truck it's faster then using a trailer
Old 12-31-2006, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer a 12ft dump truck. Coverting my flatbed to a dump and my dingo are probably my favorite purchases.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a truck and trailer setup now. Nice to be able to separate material between the two or even leave the trailer on the job site. Depending on the truck and trailer you will be able to haul more material than say a 3500 dump.

What is it that you do? What will you be using the equip for? That is really what is the important thing to know before saying which it is that you should go with.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
What is it that you do? What will you be using the equip for? That is really what is the important thing to know before saying which it is that you should go with.
Well it would be used for either mulch, topsoil, sand, or gravel, Not in large amounts(if I needed them in large amounts I will hire the hauling out). And leaves, probly in large amounts. To do leaves we use mowers to pick them up, so we'll need 18' of floor space.

I dont think a dump trailer woud be practical compared to a dump truck(if they were the same size.) I would think when you have a material you need on a job site youll always need other equip. to handle it. If someone can let me see another point of view please respond.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What about going with a smaller model Switch-N-Go? I think the largest body you can get is a 15' but unless you go with a big truck you're not going to see a 18' bed. You would be able to haul all the material you listed and if you're in tight places you can eliminate the need for a trailer. If you really need 18' then I say you have no choice but to get a trailer.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

The 18' of floor space was for the eqiupment. Sorry I didnt specify.
More specifically Ill need to carry equipment with basically what ever material Im transporting. Im thinking just a 18' utility trailer for equipment, and dump truck (start with 1ton then move up to isuzu or somthing similar.) My father has thrown out the idea of dumping trailer and flatbed truck. It seems to me that it wouldnt be as efficien to unhook your trailer every time you needed to take off a piece of equipment. Yes i agree is sounds very rediculous, but all good ideas have sounded rediculous at one time or another. Any info on the Switch n Go that you mentioned?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Search for etwman and look at his "equip pictures" post.........page 18 to be specific for pictures. Don't let how nice his trucks are scare you, the system is very afforable. Look up www.bucksfab.com .........they make it. Also keep an eye on my "international construction post" in here. I'll be posting pictures as its assembled. Etwman, waltero and I (and some others I'm sure) all have the large system that they make........they have smaller ones so you don't have to have a big truck for this system.

But check it out and open your mind......think about what you will be able to do and how much more efficient you can be.

My friends and others I've met in the industry prob think I should be a rep as much as I push this product concept........mines not even assembled yet.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Sold!!