Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2001, 06:17 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by CMerLand
I'll questions stones response, because as he knows turf apps are not that simple and that answer isnt the same answer for everyone.

HBFox was on the right track in stating its the amont of N and the amount of slow release N that matters, not the numbers on the bag.

Also soil tests on most of my lawns here in NJ indicate excessive levels of P and K, so additional applications particularly high rate applications would be unnecessary.
What would you do in response to the original question?
Old 08-10-2001, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawrence,

My intention was not to get into a pissing match with you on this as you fancy yourself the bitter old man on the forum and I certainly agree and enjoy your postings more often then not.

However not to back away from your question, I would recommend (and do) a half pound total N per 1,000 square with 50% slow release.

As most companies are not going to offer a product without a P-K ratio in it you will need to know the soil conditions in your area to determine how high or low a ratio you want to put down.

Here in NJ 90% of our soil tests come back with excessive phosphorous readings as it does not leach from the soil quickly.

The goal here is to have the N available as the grass breaks dormancy to avoid depleting the root stores to reestablish the turf.

Additionally, a slow release organic fertilizer, such as Sustane though expensive would add to the organic matter in the soil, and help the microbes process any locked fertilizer still in the lawn.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:05 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by CMerLand

Here in NJ 90% of our soil tests come back with excessive phosphorous readings as it does not leach from the soil quickly.
You are lucky. Try growing turf on 4-6" of clay subsoil on top of
mine rock (shale).
Old 08-11-2001, 11:06 AM
Banned

BE CAREFUL!!!!! N aps in the fall can remove carbs from the roots.