Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2001, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Administrator and others: Had an idea for lawnsite.com

Here goes another one of those ideas for lawnsite:

What if lawnsite had a section for potential lawn maitenance customers to come to and look for lco's in their area. I know there is already a search option but what if there were an "lco's in your area" section that caught your eye as soon as you logged on so that they wouldn't have to hunt around for it. It would emphasize only professional lco's that were licensed and insured with each lco responsible for providing proof to lawnsite in order to be elidgible to participate. I know the average person looking for lawn services may not be familiar with lawnsite but what about promoting lawnsite on a local level. Is this feasable? Would anyone else be interested?
Old 08-11-2001, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Idea has potantial ,promblens I see trying to keep it in a local area. would be insterting To know how many people in a certain area acutally look at this site.run with it see what the respond :
Old 08-11-2001, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

If somweone or some people in any particular area were interested they would probably have to elect one of them to promote it through yellow page ads, newspapers or other advertising outlets using money they pool together. I don't know how cost effective it would be but if you had several people interested it may be a minimal price.
Old 08-11-2001, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lets think about one thing!

Now, homeowners that have no intention of hiring any of us that come to this site for info on equipment and turf, etc is one thing.....BUT do you really want to attract your customer to a site where we tell how much we mark up our prices for products and how we figure labor costs, and hear us bitching and griping about what pains in the arses they are??

I wouldn't want that.

It would definetly have to have a different domain name and have no links to follow back here.
Old 08-11-2001, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

That's an idea, or have this site set up to where you had to be a registered lco. to gain access to the commercial forum but non lco's could go to a residential forum where they could find local lco's. Only thing though they may get on there and start bashing us and discussing pricing and other things that we may not want discussed openly.
Old 08-11-2001, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't give the..

customers an open forum or anything like that, I would just make it a directory of service providers in their areas with links to their web pages and contact info. If it was a forum like ours, another competitor can get it and bad mouth his local competition acting as a customer,etc. And who's to say you or I are "real LCO's"?? Anyone can say they are and get a login and come in here, thats why its just best left open like it is for now.

If this thing you see has to have customer feedback, I would have a little thing so customers could give a thumbs up and a POSITIVE testemonial for a certain company.

Of course this would cost a fee to advertise in the search engine, so why whould I pay money to have bashing remarks or un happy client's talking about my biz?? I wouldn't. Thats why the MFG forums are moderated.
This way it will only cause positive advertising for the companies putting up the money!
Old 08-11-2001, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Around here some companies who belong to PLCCA use that on their advertising. Whether or not that carries any clout or is a deciding factor for customers I don't know. I assume it might be for some. But thats kind of how I was thinking. If Lawnsite had name recognition among the general public with a reputation for listing only good reputable companies maybe people would be more inclined to use those companies. They might feel like their gaining piece of mind. You could also use a Lawnsite trademark on your advertising. I guess you could also start a local association that would accomplish the same thing.
Seems like a national association would have more clout though.
Old 08-11-2001, 09:46 PM

Lee....I'm going to have to agree with Guido here. I see your point and it is a good idea, but there are too many loop-holes. As far as comparing lawnsite.com to an association like the PLCAA - it really can't be done. They are two entirely different things. Chuck does not charge hundreds of dollars annually to be a member of lawnsite. At the same time, the PLCAA has a support staff and board of directors intensely involved in the industry, even lobbying in D.C. for the industry...it's just different. The PLCAA and the ALCA are fantastic organizations that help the industry. LawnSite.com is also a fantastic part of this industry, just in a different way. Again, I think you have a good idea that I think some people are actually fooling with on the internet for this industry, but like Guido said, this should be looked at as your break-room or the water-cooler...here you can complain about the boss and the boss will never know. Maybe others will post on this and they will have an opinion as well. Good idea...

Sean Adams
Old 08-11-2001, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

You could post your business card on Cards411.com for free. This site provides what amounts to a free miniature web site with a login account to make changes any time you want. You can scan your business card and upload it to the server so your card will always be on the Internet and have a static address. Cards411.com is searchable by state, zip code, keyword, last name, business name, etc. So if you want to find a Lawn Service in the 23693 zip code just include the zip code with any keyword (mowing 23693) or (lawncare 23693) and a list of businesses will be provided.