Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2000, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

For the 1st cut of the year arent you supose to cut shorter than normal? How short should you go with it? For what type of grass? What advantages does this bring? thanks for the help and happy mowing.<br>Dingo
Old 03-10-2000, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Usually you cut a little shorter the first cut to stimulate growth as I understand it. You didn't say what type of grass you were cutting. <p>Homer
Old 03-11-2000, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about the transitional zones of TN, but I'll give you my .02 for northern grasses.<p>We primarily have rye, fescue & bluegrass. Some Zoysia, but it's worthless in Michigan and some Bent, but that's primarily for golf.<p>We cut about 3&quot; during most of the season. We'll make the 1st cut at 2 or 2 1/2&quot;. It encourages a lower grass crown, allows us to vacuum debris and gives is some &quot;room&quot; when the grass really gets cranking in May. <p>It is my opinion that short 1st cutting reduces the appearance of thatch later in the season. That's a little theoretical, but that has been my observation.<p>It should be noted that short mowing does require more water. (generally not a problem in the Spring) It does allow more weed and crabgrass infestation than longer turf if untreated.<p>I think a short mowing in the fall is equally important to a short spring mowing.
Old 03-12-2000, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ill cut it as short as I can (2&quot; usually) the first mowing, then raise it as I go along thru the season. That way it doesnt get ahead of me, by the end of May they will be all at 3 inches, works the other way in the fall by the end of Sept Im bringing it down to 2 1/2 then 2 for the last mowing so the cleanups are easy. Southern New England. Every lawn is mulched year-round.<p>Bill