Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

weeds in the infield

So in the spring i am going to attempt to get a contract to mow the baseball and practice fields at my high school to get experience doing that kind of turf care. The landscape company that did it did a real crappy job, and the mowing company does a worse job maintaining it. So how would you get grass/weeds that has grown in the infield dirt?

thanks,
adam
Old 01-09-2007, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Apply herbicide to kill the weeds in the infield. After they are gone, routine dragging should alleviate the problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

When I worked at a ball field, often we would drag the infield with nails upside down on a 2x4, 4 of them in a rectangle shape. Sort of a way of aerating a bit. That goes with what is mentioned above. Round up worked pretty well usually. Use a large board or something to keep from spraying on the grass if you use something like round up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Lawn and Garden View Post
So in the spring i am going to attempt to get a contract to mow the baseball and practice fields at my high school to get experience doing that kind of turf care. The landscape company that did it did a real crappy job, and the mowing company does a worse job maintaining it. So how would you get grass/weeds that has grown in the infield dirt?

thanks,
adam
Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be a smart***, but are you certified? In PA. there are special requirements when you apply chemicals at a public school. Make sure you know the law before applying any chemicals.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The hardest thing I dealt with with basebal fields is the transisitn from baseline to grass, trying to keep it smooth and level. the tendency for the grass to grow in to the base lines is great and when you drag it as the clay moves out it can cause some "curbing" regular dragging should take care of teh weeds.
also

I hated when the little shts in the outfield would make divots with their shoes.

Are you going to do any of the line painting?

It does take some doing and if you get a lot play on the field, you will need to make multiple visits each week or after games. to straighen up the mount home plat, and of course drag.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If chemicals are not an option, you can use a sod cutter to cut the roots, then rake off the debris. After that regular nail and mat dragging will take care of weeds. Drag in 3 or more directions every time.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I drag my baseball and sofball fields on a 5 day schedual and don't have a large problem with weeds. Also during practice and game days I drag them before each game. Keep the transition between grass nd infielf defined. I hard rke it after every game andedge it every 8 weeks.
In the fall I take my core aerator and go over the infield.
We don't use chemical controls on it because of the closenest to wetlands.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No, i am not certified. I wouldn't be applying chemicals though, i was wondering though. I am working on getting the license though.

Thanks,
adam
Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Do any of you have the dimensions for an infield for a multi use baseball/softball field. I just picked up the account and the edge between the infield and outfield has vanished over the year. I would like to recut it but want to be accurate.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacough42 View Post
Do any of you have the dimensions for an infield for a multi use baseball/softball field. I just picked up the account and the edge between the infield and outfield has vanished over the year. I would like to recut it but want to be accurate.
I've never seen anything official on this type of multi-use field. In our area the few I've run into while umpiring high school baseball games have been totally skinned. The arc between the skinned area and the outfield differs on the various fields here but they do not abide by any standard for these types of fields. If you arc it like a 90' baseball field then all the softball outfielders are pretty much stationed on the skinned area anyway. Most I've seen try to arc it about 10' beyond the baseball 90' basepaths and they are more squared off rather than a nice arc. We also have combination 60' (youth league) and 90' (junior high) fields here with combination pitching mounds, grass infields and combination skinned areas. They're unusual but they work.