Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

paypal stinks!!

I've been using paypal to accept credit card payments for the last two years. People are always telling me that it "times out" and have other troubles with it. I think it looks a little bush league having paypal for creditcard payments. Is there something out there that is simple for my customers, economical for me, and works good?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Clickbank. You may find better results with them.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that out. I just wonder if that company will be recognizable so that my clients will feel comfortable using it.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslawnman View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll check that out. I just wonder if that company will be recognizable so that my clients will feel comfortable using it.
Clickbank is as reputable as Paypal now. It is not a new service, just new to our industry. Internet markets have been using it for years.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Look for why your problems with PayPal, they are by far the cheapest and easiest thing to use (I use them for hosting/domain/site work transactions every month and have for years with never a glitch & some eBay & other stuff too).
Of course we also take Credit Cards too but REMEMBER while you may never have a problem or get caught you must have an electronic payment portal, a secure site, a dedicated IP address, AND a merchant bank to legally take credit cards on-line. Add all that up and you have a LOT higher cost than Pay Pal and no electronic checks or AmEx or Discover.
Then, if your customer's on line data or your site is ever compromised in any way (just possibly, even if they didn't get the card numbers but hacked a page on your site...still "compromised") all the responsibility for reporting the scope of the breach, all the card numbers possibly compromised, etc. is up to YOU and you have 2 days!
Other than that sites like Click2Pay etc. are all like little "PayPal's"

PayPal starting to sound better for small business yet?
I have no reason to "push" PayPal on anybody but the problems you are having are not normal, transactions should process there as fast or faster than a credit card processor. Something is causing you in particular problems. I'd suggest you look for the possible causes of your personal problems before blaming the largest on-line payment processor in the world.

You can also (get by) taking credit cards with a regular account like somebody in a walk in "store" but you need to do that by having customers provide you all their credit card info and manually entering it each time there is a charge and most people don't want their data on paper in your desk or filing cabinet on in a file on your computer.

If you do go full on-line I recommend CDG Commerce. They are one of the largest & very reputable.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:19 AM
LawnSite Member

worth it?

So is it worth your company to be able to accept payments on line?

My company does not accept cc payments at this time. I have had a number of customers ask if we do. I think that if I did, we may pick up more jobs during the season. Even if I just got a couple of jobs or accounts for accepting credit cards, the small percentage fee paypal charges would be worth it I would think. I think that if a customer sees on my advertising that I accept credit cards, they would be more apt to go with my company as opposed to someone else's who does not. Especially in the area I am in which is pretty ritzy.

Paypal seems to be the most secure and cost effective way of accepting credit card payments. Am I wrong here?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
So is it worth your company to be able to accept payments on line?

My company does not accept cc payments at this time. I have had a number of customers ask if we do. I think that if I did, we may pick up more jobs during the season. Even if I just got a couple of jobs or accounts for accepting credit cards, the small percentage fee paypal charges would be worth it I would think. I think that if a customer sees on my advertising that I accept credit cards, they would be more apt to go with my company as opposed to someone else's who does not. Especially in the area I am in which is pretty ritzy.

Paypal seems to be the most secure and cost effective way of accepting credit card payments. Am I wrong here?

Nope..your right on.
We have used them for years for 3 dif. biz.'s and have NEVER had an trouble.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using clickbank for my hobby site for many years (as I offer a paid service)...
While I am sure a few customers run away at the sight of the online payment, that's as likely to happen with any payment form

They're clean, their forms look neat and organized, their admin screen recently underwent a decent upgrade, and I've never had any real problems (ok, once in a moon something flubs, but out of hundreds maybe one or two).

The other thing is, clickbank limits credit card transactions to either 1 or 2 per 24 hour time frame - While this may annoy some, it also helps protect from over-charges.

Now, for my business I recently got into the Google system...
It's supposed to be free until Dec. 2007
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I went to clickbank.com & it looked like they were selling products more than they were trying to act as a banking merchant. Maybe I was at the wrong site, I don't know. If I wsa at the right one, I will definitely be using paypal as I have never had any issues w/ them & it has been very easy to use every time I have bought something on eBay.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Google has a service called Googlecart, check that out.