Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I am convinced

Working for commercial lco's is nothing but a dead end street. I was once an owner but had to get out after Katrina, luckily I sold what I had to a close friend. I learned a trade and thought it would be the answer but it wasnt because I am cursed with liking this line of work.

So i got out of the welding business and went back to work in the field as a foreman, it was nice to get back outside for the summer but the money just wasnt worth the hassle of being someones ***** so to speak. I tried a larger maintenance company only to get the same results with twice the hassle.

So now I am at a crossroad, do I hit the streets and start over? I am back in school getting the Landscape Operation Management degree in hopes that I will learn something new to market myself with. I hate being told what and how to do things when I have been there and done that. I think I am answering my own question but the only other alternative is working for someone. I honestly dont think it ever work out after being an owner for those years and knowing what is really going on. I feel like I am dumbing myself down just to keep the peace because I am over-qualified.

I dont mean to sound boastful about my qualifications but I want to know if anyone has a suggestion. I think every lco wants someone like myself but they are scared I or another person like myself might take over their customers and or business, plus who can pay their bill making 13-15 bucks an hour?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you ran a business im not sure how you even thought you can work for someone else.. Ill be dead before i ever work for someone else again

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLandscapes View Post
If you ran a business im not sure how you even thought you can work for someone else.. Ill be dead before i ever work for someone else again
I agree. I would be a great worker, but would have WAY WAY WAYYYYYYYY to much of an attitude to ever do that again.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a horrible worker when I work for other people, and constantly feel as though I could do everything better than the people in charge. That's the reason why I started my own business, and I was right. Go for your own business again.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have decided to go back, I apologize for even posting that rant but I needed to see it for myself a few times.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck I think you made the right choice...
Old 01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I do too, I know its going to take a while but I know of 3-5 large commercial accounts that would pay twice what I netted working for someone else. I dont know what I was thinking.

I was thinking I could make an owners life a lot easier but I was wrong. not all owners are a-holes but each one I tried this season was.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The advantage to being your own boss, is that you can make your own destiny and write your own paycheck.
Good Luck!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, man, here's what you do:

Dumb yourself down and go back to work for someone else, and start putting away MONEY (as much as possible).
I dunno, start with $20 / month or $20 / week or more, if you can afford it, you put away as much as you can every single check.
And you need to be debt-free, so pay off credit cards and stupid recurring bills (auto insurance needs to be paid in one lump sum, etc.) and either pay off the car or sell / then buy a cheaper one, anyway you got to be at $0 debt while you save it, too.
Doesn't matter if it's $50 / day, look, $20 here and $100 there, it adds up over time so just keep putting it away (oh yeah, and don't spend it).
And keep doing that, do the dirty do and kiss good tail politely and smile and pretend you like it, and keep saving your money.
Do this for a long time (at least 2-3 years) and right when you can't stand it anymore, do it some more (and keep putting away the money and dumbing yourself down and hate all of it a little bit too).

Yup, yup, do that until you got yourself a nice little nest egg, more than a few thousand dollars cash in the bank.
Look, I dunno how much you need other than more is better, and at LEAST 5 thousand (and you REALLY need 8-10 and more is still better).

Then, you get to that point with the money so one day turn in your 2-weeks notice ok?
And finish working those 2 weeks properly, and start your business with the money you have saved.

If you do it that way, hopefully you'll never look back with regret.
It's the only way I know of that works.

Last edited by topsites; 01-25-2007 at 01:10 PM.