Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2000, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I sent a bid in today for a large facility. I walked everyu sq. ft of the place and wrote each segment of the operation down and estimated the time it would take to do the job. Got home, tallied everything up, applied a $45.00 per hour price tag, and came up with $745.00 per cut. Again, this is a big place, one of the largest I've bid on yet. I faxed the bid to the man and called him a couple hours later to confirm that he received it. I asked his opinion on the price and he said &quot;kinda high don't you think?&quot; I said it might be higher than the other ones but I guarantee the work will be high quality and everything I put on the proposal would be done to the letter. He commented on how thorough I was, breaking each operation down, and said the other bids he had received had not been as detailed. He is not the decision maker, someone else will do that, so he assured me that he would get back with me when all the bids were sent to the home office.<p>Long story, but the point is, he called me for a bid, he got a bid! I could have easily dropped my price to $25.00 per hour and might have got the project, but who would be hurting in the long run? If I get it, it will be because they feel I was a notch above the rest of the field and are confident the quality will be there. <br>I kicked this around with some others and felt I would just stick to my guns, thats what I did. If someone else can do it cheaper I say go for it, I can't. I won't. I will tell them, if I don't get it, to keep me in mind when the other guy bails out because he probably won't have the equipment to do this large area, will tie up 2 days of his time, and will lose his ass in the process.<p>Take it or leave it, thats my new attitude! I have reached a point, finally, that I don't have to beg for work and won't rely on one contract to get me by. For all you guys just starting out, please stick to your guns! It's going to take time to build your business to the point where you can pick and choose but if you get into the practice of doing it now you can save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. Set high standards for yourself. Let each bid be well thought out. I would rather have 50 accounts to maintain and make $50,000 than have 120 and make $50,000.00 I know a guy who made $90,000 last year. He stays broke all the time. Reason is he's running his ass off to make it. Get enough out of each account to <p>1. sustain<br>2. grow<br>3. replace<br>4. add<br>5. repair<br>6. save<p>We could talk all day long about unity, togetherness, price fixing, collusion, and partnerships, but the fact of the matter is this is as cut throat a business as there ever was. No matter what somebody says they will do for you or say to your face, chances are the opposite will happen. I do not discuss with anybody (local, not cyber) my prices for my accounts, thats my business. I can say with much pride that I am supporting a family of 5, along with a mini zoo! I am the bread winner. Take the time to build it right. I have a long way to go and that will involve culling some of the less profitable accounts and replacing them with better paying ones, but that can happen from ground zero. Set a goal and don't veer off course, it's too easy to lose the coordinates once you do that.<p>Nuff said, I guess. When I think of something else I'll be sure to let ya'll know!!!<p>Homer