Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

GoDaddy.com

I'm looking to create a website, But have absolutely no clue..

Is GoDaddy.com Website Tonight a good place to start??

Beautifying the world one yard at-a-time...
www.keenkutlandscaping.com
Old 02-07-2007, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a pimped out site and have no clue... better to let someone else build it for you.

If you want to try it yourself; you can create a site using a template that will be OK. Most hosting services have site builders included.

Sign up with one of the hosting services and give it a try. If you're not happy with it; you can always shop around for someone local to get the job done.

Do you have an idea of what you want to say on your site? Do you have any pics lined up yet? Are you wanting online billing/payment?

Look around and make a list of sites you think are good. Blend them all together with your unique descriptions to make your site.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

ibuild.net is a great place to get one. Bit pricey but I found theirs is the nicest. I have my site on GoDaddy and i'm having issues with copyright stuff. It's ridiculous. Not GoDaddy's fault BUT there are better hosts out there. I dont care for their website tonight BS either.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick One Lawns View Post
ibuild.net is a great place to get one. Bit pricey but I found theirs is the nicest. I have my site on GoDaddy and i'm having issues with copyright stuff. It's ridiculous. Not GoDaddy's fault BUT there are better hosts out there. I dont care for their website tonight BS either.
I don't care for the new 3.0 version. We had them put us back to the previous version that was what we started with. If you like to change your website information frequently, don't know website programming, and don't want to have to pay a web designer everytime you want something changed, then GoDaddy.com is a good choice for this. Plus they have those superbowl commercials with the decent looking females in them.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Being kind-of "in the biz" I have never used GoDaddy, but also I participate in a lot of "web industry" forums & such and GoDaddy has a general reputation for not being a great choice. They are not the best value (too pricey & somewhat limited options), and they are a "mega" company so customer support is the old "you are one in thousands" type things so don't expect personal service, support or help. (Lots of user comments along the lines of "after an hour and a half on support I never could get the guy (lady) to understand what I was trying to do so I finally gave up")

Some people do like them (like the above who was posting while I was), but remember, for years GoDaddy only sold domain names. They were good at it, cheaper (back then) and made a big name for themselves & a reputation, but they sell them cheap (little profit) so all their other services are their real "money makers".

I advise folks to use them to buy a name if you want, depending on who you compare them to you might save a couple of dollars a year, but to ignore all their other offers (a lot of their offers are useless anyway), but even ones like site building & hosting that have value generally have more negative than positive said about them from current/former users.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanx for the info.. I went ahead and purchased ( keep in mind that I have know clue) a web domain and their Website tonight program which I found to be user unfriendly as well as their customer service. I ended up canceling everything ( not sure If I should have kept the Domain name but I was so disgusted I axed the whole deal ) I really need someone to design and host for me but not sure about the $$$$. Not really sure where to go from here, I was looking at the Gopher templates and they don't look bad but how about support?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have what you want to say all lined up; as well as pictures you want to use.
When you find someone to do your site (local or remote) they will need this information.
Without your input; it would be like going to a artist and asking for a "nice outdoor picture"....... What you want and what you get are going to be very different.
If you have a list of other sites, you can say "I want buttons like this, a menu like that, a gallery laid out like this one, etc.

Looking here should get you an idea of what can be done for how much.
Web design services on Ebay

Here are some I pulled from my favorites file, for referece when I do my site.
http://haysliplandscape.com/default.htm
http://www.meierslandscape.com/residential/
http://www.basscustomlandscapes.com/
http://www.roguesci.org/
http://www.blandlandscaping.com/
http://www.kingstownelawn.com
http://www.countywidelandscaping.com/

That should get you started.... or at least have a better idea of what you want.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll say I have had excellent customer service with GODADDY. I do not like the websight tonight as I said though. But it's free with the purchase of a domain name. I would have kept it and used them as a host for your site. There are some that are actually a couple bucks cheaper than godaddy out there too. But, if you call godaddy they will always compete with the price. Also to remove their banner and have your own site either for a year or for it's life it's only like 20 bucks... anyway... just saying i dont like website tonight but have had good experience with them over all. Even though I am still having a problem lol
Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanx to all for your help, I am planning on doing some research to better plan for my Website.

Thanx again

Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Landscaping View Post
ROFL.