Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

100 page site, and growing !!

Earlier tonight, I counted the files for my website pages.

It was a surprise to see that my website exceeds 100 web pages - right at 110 pages.

The site is averaging 230 visitors per day, and about 440 page views per day.

I'm getting some business from it, but the site has become 70% hobby.

It more than pays for itself, like 100 times over, each year.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

well done! 230 visitors a day is no joke, that's starting to be some serious traffic. I think this is a good example of how if you work at your site, love it and don't forget it, and build more and more pages...you'll be rewarded.

Jeff
Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrads on your website. I have had almost 500,000 hits on my other Business site in under a year.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenN'Clean View Post
Congrads on your website. I have had almost 500,000 hits on my other Business site in under a year.
I used to look at "hits", but currently keep track of page views and visitors. Over several years, on average, the ratio on my site was roughly 12 hits to 1 unique visitor.

That means if I had 100 unique visitors in one day, there were 1200 hits on that day. A year ago, there were about 300 visitors per day; about 3600 hits. That's about 1,300,000 hits per year. But my actual unique visitors are only like 100,000 per year.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Sponsor

yes visitors, unique visitors and page views are where it's at.

Also, and this is the stat that hurts us all..

% of visitors on site for less than 30 seconds or a minute. Those are the 'oops i didn't want this site' people and it can run 50 to 60 % of your traffic.

The problem with hits are that all web pages are different. A hit is a file request to a server. So if you have a web page with just code, no images no other files it'll be 1 hit. But most people have images, calls to styles sheets, etc. Those are all hits within the page as the webpage loads from the server to the browser. So it can't really be compared. Typically, I see hits to page view ratio anywhere around 10 to 20 for good pages with images.

Okay, i did it again, i'm getting technical. But my point is that hits ARE good the more the better, but they are hard to understand and impossible to compare. So look at page view, unique visitors and time on site to see how well your site is doing. Also look at things in terms of months so you can see trends.

Last edited by OhioJeff; 02-09-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you get potential customers to look at your website?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Sponsor

this answer to this is both an easy and a complex one. The complex talks about coding, tags, indexing, SEO, incoming links all that. But none of that is important without first covering the easy. And guess what - the easy is 90% of the game.

When I say easy, i mean non-technical but it is certainly HARD WORK.

Visitors will find you in search engines. There are other ways of getting traffic to your site, but that typically involves paid advertising.

The first step is to have the faith that you can be number #1 (or #2 :-) ) You also have to have the understanding that Yahoo and Google are your buds not your enemies. There's nothing more they want than to learn who you are and tell web searches about you by showing your site high in search results.

But you have to do the hard work and explain yourself! You do that through writing text (I'm talking web pages) that will make a connection with people looking for you, in your area and for your services.

I'm willing to bet there are many websites owners here with 5 to 10 pages on their site, they have the typical 'service' page and they get nothing from their site.

You got to do more than that. And this is where it comes down to hard work.
Imaging being your customer going to google and trying to find you and your service. What will they type? will they type 'landscaping'? well if they do they'll realize that word is too broad. Chances are they'll refine their search to something more meaningful, maybe landscaping plus the city they are in.

Are you talking about that city on your website? And I don't mean keyword stuffing where you list a bunch of cities in the footer of your page. You have to do more, you need write a page about it. So if I'm a Timbuktu Landscaper, I need a webpage about Timbuktu landscaping. Always be honest and truthful in your text about how you are and what your services are but don't be afraid or lazy to talk about it.

There' so much more to this, that's true, but the biggest and first step is writing more copy and more webpages.

hope this helps,
jeff
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhouse View Post
How do you get potential customers to look at your website?

That's partially explained in another thread I started yesterday, here...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=174346

This afternoon, I plan to start adding a section to the website / search engine topic: listed in my advice page's drop-down menu.

I'm going to add a section about bringing people to websites from other than the internet.

As OhioJeff indicated, a few visitors are just momentary ones. Some may even be search engines. By the time we are left looking at the number who stay around for 2 minutes, 10 minutes or an hour, the number dwindles.