Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2001, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Ryan Aerator Engine Question

This might be a dumb question but i have to ask. I have a lawnair IV with a 3hp briggs ic engine. This unit is pretty old but it runs and works great. I do not have a manual. The engine has an oil fill spout in the front and back. The gear box also has an oil fill. After i filled the gear box with oil, I checked the engine oil. It appeared to be overfilled because when I opened the plug, oil rushed out like it was under pressure. Is the gear box and engine oil the same? Which oil fill spout do I use to add oil, front of engine, back of engine or the gear box ? The oil fill at the back of the engine does not spew oil when opened. Also, oil was leaking from the drain plug of the gear box and it was pretty tight. Thanks for your help. I'm not going to start it back up until I figure this out.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First thing I would do is take a block of wood and put it under your front roller drum, add as many as you nee to the engine is level.
then recheck your fluid levels.
If they are overfilled, then drain the excess out, or drain it all out and put 30 weight oil in the engine and gearcase.
It does not matter which fill plug you use, as long as you fill it till it meets the threads (on models without dipstick)
To fill the gear case, remove the top plug and side plug,
fill from the top plug till the oil comes out the side plug.

Later
Pj
Old 08-23-2001, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After correctly filling both the engine and the gearbox. After use if the oil level in the gearbox drops and the level in the engine increase then the seal on the engine output shaft needs to be replaced. We have seen oil migrate from the gearbox to engines off and on. If there is room for two seals we usally install two seals, last one installed backwards. This will cure the problem of migrating oil for a long time.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.