Register free!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn clippings

Hello, We have to bag our lawns here, it's just too wet to mulch. We end up with a pick up load or 2 per day of clippings. I need some ideas of how to manage this material.

We do own 5 acres, although only one acre is usable for composting. Last year I made a pile and stirred it up occasionally with a tractor. The problem was the neighbor complained about the smell. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you mix grass clippings with leaves or wood chips it should cut down on the smell. If all you have is grass clippings contact a local arborist and see if they need a place to dump some wood chips.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 part clippings 1 part wood chips (from a tree service put layer after layer) then add lime to the grass clippings try a spot where the wind doesn't blow it on your neighbors

Details make money!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tip on the wood chips. I will give it a try.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This company www.biofeed.us Has a product that will eliminate the smell, keep the flies away and reduce the time to complete the composting process. It is called Balance, it runs about $45 a gallon but it is a concentrate. You mix about 2-oz per gallon and spray the pile with a hose end sprayer.

I used to use it when I kept a dump trailer at my house. The crew would empty the truck debris into it every day and when the trailer was full it would go to the dump. In between dumps it got pretty rank and the flies were awful before I started using the Balance.

If hose ending is not an option you could just mix some up in a back pack. With a back pac you would probably have to do it more often, daily or every other day. With a hose end sprayer once a week would probably work. Balance is an organic product too.