Register free!

Old 08-24-2001, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Large Commercial Bid

I am needing some opinions on bidding for a large commericial instalation for a major home improvement warehouse with a massive parking area and lots of ground around it. I am just starting out should I put a bid in on this one or wait until I have more experience in landscape installation. It wont be till the early winter when the building is finished so I will be slow at that time of year. It consists of about 400 trees and about 75 palms and about 200,000 sq feet of sod and about 2200 small bushes and about 1500 yards of mulch. The general contractor has a huge budget for this job and I am just trying to garner some opinions on the job. I have the equipment and labor to do the job. There is also irrigation for all the trees and it has two controllers which are both 24 station major parts with all the wires and heads and pipes. Thanks in advance
Old 08-24-2001, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That does sound like a big job. If you're just starting out, I'm wondering how you have the eqpt and manpower to do the job. Maybe you'll have a bit more time to complete it than if it was to happen mid-spring?

I don't know your level of expertise, so it's hard to say if I think you're ready. Besides, who am I to tell you what you can't do? I've been in business 5 years (16 years total in the 'trenches')now and am very slow to take on the biggies. Just ask Paul . If you are fresh in the industry and fresh in the biz, you might want to hold off. For a job this big, if you don't get prompt payment from the contractor, you'll be out of biz before you get started, because you'll have the bills for all your labor and materials before you have the money to pay for it. Quickest path to bankruptcy.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:37 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Things you need, first deep pockets for this job is going to be close to a half million, workers that know how to do the job and equipment. after that you should have no problem
Old 08-24-2001, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you read the specifications and bidding instructions? Are you required to post any bonding? There are also some contractor qualificatons to meet sometimes. If those don't pose any problem, then deep pockets like Paul says. Talk to your banker early on.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a very big job..I hope you have a couple of bobcats to help. Watch all the fine print before you bid.You will probaly have to pay up front for all the materials.Do you have to have adequate insurance?What kind of mulch do they want(it should say in contract), this could be costly if you put wrong mulch in.What kind of warranty on trees,plant,sod, etc. What kind of sod some types are very expensive. Good luck and have a lawyer possibly look at it also to cover your butt, for this big job.:blob3:
Old 08-25-2001, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what you mean when you say you are just starting out. We've been in maintenance for 10yrs+ and are just now getting our feet wet with landscaping. We're taking it slow, providing softscaping only, for our current maintenance customers to start.

Personally, I wouldn't take on a job anywhere near that size but you know your own situation better than anyone here.