Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2000, 03:26 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

South Side, a blade grinder is a bench type grinder that is designed for sharpening blades. I use a 10&quot; hand held for the rough cut of the blade and a 4.5&quot; for the finish.<p>I'm not sure which brand you guys are talking about, but I assume the RBG stands for Rotary Blade Grinder. I went to the Lesco open house today and looked at their model and wasn't very impressed. I got a card from Brandlein Machine Co. in Indianapolis today that has one called a Fireball that does look like a good one. Does anyone have any experiance with them and know how much? If so, which model did you get? I emailed them for a dealer in my area so I can check them out. I noticed their website has no prices or dealers.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Eric: I have the Fireball 128,its rugged,works great. I wish it had an electric brake on it to stop faster when switching grinding directions.I got mine two years ago, around $630.00..They only sell from the factory direct
Old 03-02-2000, 10:15 PM

I've seen that lesco thing and it's junk. I looked at the fireballs as well they looked pretty nice but the RBG were the best in my opinion. Yes, RBG stands for rotory blade grinder which is manufactured by Wall Enterprises Inc. 1-800-354-5888<br>
Old 03-03-2000, 11:12 AM

bdemir, I just ordered the 2181P RBG. It will sharpen 9 1/2 inches of the blade where yours will do 6 1/2 inches. The biggest model does 10 1/2 inches, so I figured the 218 was big enough. I ordered it out of AM Leonard in Ohio, free shipping and no tax and was $404.22 so that wasn't to bad compared to some of the others I saw.<p>Thanks for the good info guys. I broke my shoulder when I broke my back the second time and it has no cartilidge left in it and gets very painful operating that 10&quot; hand grinder. I hope this helps me out.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>
Old 03-03-2000, 05:55 PM

PLS, I noticed you mentioned the blue wheel, that is a Ceramic Wheel and is supposed to be better. The one I ordered has it on it, so I will let you know how it does. About how long does the Ruby Wheel last. I see you can keep adjusting them until it is almost all gone, so it looks like we can get our moneys worth out of them. The Ceramic Wheel that comes with it, lists for $43.54, about $8 more than the Ruby Wheel. I appreciate your suggestions in the above posts. I just wanted to let you know what I had found out. Thanks again guys.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-03-2000, 10:14 PM

Eric, I don't know how long they last, I'm still on my first one, and I've had it about four or five years. You will like that grinder, make sure you get a grit box for it, and that wheel dresser is kinda pricey but it works great and is probably worth the money. You can really tell a difference after you dress it off. Also hook you up some kind of dust collection system, I use a 4 hp shop vac with a fine dust filter bag. I also found that it's alot easier on the back if you put it on a tall stand, mine is about elbow high. Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2000, 08:12 PM
jeffclc

One thing that I learned about blade grinders is that it is very difficult to keep adjusting the angle for each blade. <p>I finally bit the bullet, and ground all my blades to the same angle, and now sharpenings only take a few passes. <p>I will now sharpen a new blade before I ever mount it on a mower. I like having the sonsistency that I now have. <p>I have the new Lesco model. It is very similar to a regular bench grinder, but has a much better table, and also rotates in the opposite direction. <p>Once you get the hang of it, and get all your blades christened to your angle, it works fine. It took me some time to learn the machine.<p>
Old 03-07-2000, 06:30 AM

Strange thing about my Lesco dealer is, they don't use a Lesco blade sharpener for sharpening blades. They have a RBG blade sharpener for that and it's only $50 more. My question is, I wonder why they don't stock the better sharpener if they won't even use the one they sell. <p>For you guys that are wondering about the RBG or Fireball sharpeners, the whole motor and wheel raises and lowers with a crank to set the blade angle adjustment and the blade lays on a flat table. Once you get your angle set, you can tighten it down in that spot to have consistant angles. The motor will run both directions for left or right hand blades. The link to see it is &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.amleo.com/help-desk/item.php?bg218&quot;&gt;Blade Sharpener.&lt;/a&gt;<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>