Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

4 Wheeler ATV

Anybody know anything about the suzuki Vinson 500? I was thinking of buying one. Is it worth it or am I better off getting something else.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

P.S. Its for pleasure use.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had one a couple years ago. Nice machine for sure! I read up on all the brands before I purchased and found that the suzuki vinson was rated almost the best overall in everything. Not sure that they wtill make that model, were you looking at used? I'd go with the automatic transmission. I had the semi-auto type that had to be shifted, but no clutch. It was not nearly as "fun" to ride with all the shifting, and shifting wasn't as easy as one with a clutch. oddly enough...

I was more used to the smaller machines, the 250 utilities and the bigger engine sport bikes. the true utility machines like the vinson's and up are HUGE. they are NOT good on tight and winding trails as they will beat you up pretty good turning them a lot. Kinda scary too with how much they weigh. I wasn't as afraid of my Yamaha 660 Raptor as I was of the Vinson just because I knew I could maneuver the Raptor and keep it in line with my weight, where the vinson would easily over power me. If the vinson ended up on top of you, it would be a very bad day... But that same goes for any large utility atv. It just depends a lot on where you intend to ride mainly. Most important is to be aware of everything and be safe!

Edit: just looked and they do still make the Vinson, it was the Eiger that was the new model that replaced the.... I forget now...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly all of the big name brands are pretty good. If I were you I would simply look at all of them in that class and price range and check the fetures and specs. Then i would go test drive them and make my choice on that. I prefer Honda because of the reliability and resale value they bring. What I dont like is the fact they still use drum brakes unless you get the top of line Rincon.

I bought a Honda Recon 250 brand new in spring of 05. It has been flawless and runs great. Jason is right about the size and weight. I can manuver this thing through tight areas and I can throw it around. It was my first quad so I wanted to start small and cheap. I am at the point now I am wanting a larger 4X4 but i have so much fun on this little 250 that I will probably hold out another year or two. With the ITP Mudlight tires on the back it does really well in mud considering its a 2WD.

So check some specs on different quads then test drive them and make your choice based on that!
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I started out with a 250 Ozark 2 wheel drive, had a blast on it, yes its a tad small for me (6'4" tall) but it was pretty speedy and easy to handle. Just had to keep up with my buddies though and got the 660 Raptor and sold the Ozark. Well, I decided that I wasn't that into the sport bike because I didn't race that much ect. So I got a Vinson but kept the Raptor. Then after riding the Vinson some I decided that the Raptor was just a lot easier to ride than the Vinson... I had also bought a snow blade for the Vinson, and it was totally worthless. Thing was a good brand (forget what now) but was very light weight and had no down pressure. Would just skim the top and then it was a mess to turn around and go back the other way...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Forgot about this video i made of me and my friends goofing around. I am the one in the green coat and the red bike is mine.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...94464476595724
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of riding? I own Polaris ATVs. I think if your getting a deal jump on it. If not look that that new 450 suzuki just came out with it has a lot of nice features. Gotta say: the 700 King Quad is definatly worth the money from what I have heard.

If you are looking for a true 4x4 (polaris has AWD instead of the usual front limited slip) machine that has a extremely cumfy ride and is reliable... get a Polaris Sportsman for sure. A close friend just bought a 800EFI and I hear that things a BEAST.
www.polarisindustries.com
Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

well my self IF I was buying 1 i would go with artic cat
Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Before I bought my 650 cat I was looking at the king quad, vinson, and kawi models. Honda has alot of nice features for work but not play.
the 650 kawi and the cat are almost exact in what they offer except for the extras. AC offers the mrp system which is very nice for adding and subtracting extras. Ac also offers the most clearance than any other company. Now this was 2 years ago and IF I had all the money in the world I would take the AC suspension and frame Add the Bombardia(or what ever they are calling them selves now) 800 fuel injected engine, the power steering from the yamaha and a 8 gallon fuel tank mounted below the seat.

Just like mowers test ride them and buy the biggest you can afford because trust me, if you buy a 400 or 500 you will want the 600/700 or larger.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the King Quad 450 for moving snow on sidewalks and around buildings. So far so good.

Tim