Register free!

Old 08-26-2001, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rock Walls

What are you other NJ guys charging per sf for rock walls? (labor only)

I'm bidding on a job which is about 250 sf of wall ranging from 1' to 4' at max height. The material is free but I will have to pick up and deliver from about 1 mile away. I will only pick rocks that my skid steer can handle and also have a mini -ex on site to manuever them if needed.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:50 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Henry, If this a boulder wall we charge by the ton, not in your area, but we are at $350 per ton for boulders up to 48"
Old 08-26-2001, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

Always get lost when it comes to pricing 'rock walls' using boulders.

I know dry laid stone walls are in the range 450-500 a pallet, which is around 40-50 a face foot.

Being the material is 'free', I would say a good start is around $20 a face foot, but its hard to say. Have no idea what kind of wall you are builiding. If you are just 'slapping' rocks up, then maybe less. If you are going for a 'tight' look, filling in the voids, placing each rock carefully, I'd say a lot more.

If in doubt, I'd price it out on a 'per day' basis and cost of materials/cost of acquiring materials. IE. if you are going to be there 2 days with the machines and 2 operators, then bill out the daily rate for the machines/operators, then add in the cost of trucking in the stone, then add in all the other stuff. At least this way, you know you are covered.....but need a good idea on how long it will take.

steveair
Old 08-27-2001, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I will definately be going for the tight joints and was thinking somewhere closer to 30 per foot. I think it will take close to 2 full days just to bring the material from one property to the other and at least that much to build.

This is my 1st time on this type of wall but I have a good teacher so it shouldn't be too bad.