Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2000, 02:26 PM

Has anyone tried those hover mowers?<br>2-3 hp, 18-21&quot; cut with line or blade and have no wheels.<br>Would they be useful for rough, steep ditches filled with stones, rocks, etc?<br>Would they be faster than trimming the area?
Old 03-02-2000, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a husqvarna hover mower. I use it for cutting steep embankments. It is a pretty good work out after while. When I was using a string trimmer it took me 1 1/2 hrs. to clean this bank up. I then bought a hover mower and hit myself in the head for not buying sooner. I completed the banks in 40 min. from then on. It is not good for really deep grass. I had a problem burning up the plastic spacer for the cutting disc. It would take the brunt of engine torque in the tall grass and shear. Also over small gravel it will lose some of its lift and you will have to drag it. It will eat up some gravel when this happens. I did not trust my employees with it. It was to easy for them to drop it into the water at the bottom of the ditch and say &quot;whoops&quot;. I dropped that job anyway. Cutting that ditch was a pain in the neck. My hover mower is collecting dust, because I will be hard pressed to bid another job that requires it.<br>Hope I answered your question.<br>Rick Haden<br>Ace Landscape Services, Delaware
Old 03-03-2000, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are they radio controlled?<p>Homer
Old 03-03-2000, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a Husqvarna hover mower, bought it especially for trimming rough steep banks. Unless the surface is smooth it will not hover. If the grass is very tall it will not hover. I took mine back to the dealer, he refunded me entire purchase price which I turned around and bought merchandise from him that I could use (hedge trimmers, etc.). You couldn't run fast enough to sell me another hover mower, unless I had some steep smooth well manicured banks I needed to take care of.<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<br>
Old 03-03-2000, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Homer, i saw those radio controlled mowers. They dont hover i believe. I think they work off of a invisible fence, like for dogs<br>They just go around the lawn all day like one of those toy cars that hits something, and then turns around. <p>They sound like the demise of lawn maintenacne to me. Just imagine, ten years form now everyone has one of those. Where does that leave us. Maybe we should loook into becoming mechanics and learn to service them. At least that way we'll have some work! LOL
Old 03-03-2000, 08:11 AM

Radio controlled mower won't do the dirty work of trimming the lawm of blowing off the drive. I am not ever going over to someones yard and just trim up after a radio controlled mower. They want me? Its all or nothing.
Old 03-03-2000, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Really don't think those robotic mowers are of any concern. Saw one advertised in one of those Hammacher & Schlemmer type catalogs and from the description they will only cut 4-5,000 sq. ft. per charge...can you see someone trying to have it cut 1/2 acre and up lawns? If anything they will be a fad for those who just have to have something, but they will probably be the ones that mow their own lawns as it is now.
Old 03-03-2000, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that there is dirty work that nothing else will do and that robotic mowers arent a threat now and may never be for 20 years still. However, I just think with the way things are going, you have to accept the advances being made to remain competive. Just look at the advances made in our field over the last 10 years. Mowers have come a long way, just as every other piece of equipment has. How many guys do you hear these days saying they're replacing men with machines. Quite a few. Its technology and it is moving fast these days. Look at science too. With these new growth regulators, grass may not need many mowings at all. For that matter, look at what these universities are coming up with for grrass. All sorts of new varities that do everthing from being drought tolerant to insect resistant. If they can clone a sheep, how long before they figure out to make a grass that only grows 2 inches tall and never needs mowing?<p>Like I said, none of these things may happen tommorow, but they will happen, you can bet on it. This whole business is definitely changing and its important to stay on the &quot;cutting&quot; edge.
Old 03-03-2000, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

dylan yes i have used one but not in rocky areas I would say it is not good for rocks it does not hover it sits on the ground. years ago I had a friend who was using one and he slid down the hill and got a toe cut off. I my self would not recomend a hover mower I would recomend A 32 cc line trimmer or bigger any day.First of all if you slip you dont lose a toe. second the line trimer is diversive it can be used to do other stuff such as trimming edging and mowing small areas. The hover can only be used to do what it was built for .
Old 03-06-2000, 08:22 PM
jeffclc

I have a Flymo, one of the origional hover mowers. I bought it used, for a specific job. At the time I wanted one, the new hover mowers were not out yet.<p>This lawn has a huge hill, maybe 1000 ftx2. IT is too steep for a 21&quot; Lawn Boy, and I thought that the Flymo would fit the bill. Since this is an older mower, it does not have any operator presence controls.<p>I found that I could do just as good of a job, on about the same time with a string trimmer. You would have to stand above the mower, and move it sideways below you. Since you are on a steep hill, this was dangerous. <p>They suggest using a rope to lower the machine down the hill, and mow up and down. This is more trouble than it is worth.<p>Perhaps there is a specific application for a hover mower, but I am not sure of it.