Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2001, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

IN RESPONSE TO YOUR DEALER'S COMMENT ABOUT A SHORT BLOCK NOT BEING ADVISABLE BECAUSE HE WOULD HAVE TO "BORE" IT OUT. SO YOU KNOW, A NEW SHORT BLOCK IS A COMPLETE ENGINE BLOCK LESS HEADS, FLYWHEEL, CARB, INTAKE AND OTHER, RUNNING GEAR. THERE IS NO REASON TO BORE A NEW SHORT BLOCK. HOWEVER IF THE HEADS ARE EXTREMELY WORN FROM DIRT A NEW ENGINE WOULD BE ADVISABLE, OTHERWISE A SHORT BLOCK IS A GOOD FINANCIAL INVESTMENT, PROVIDED YOUR DEALER DOESN'T CHARGE YOU MORE FOR LABOR THAN THE COST OF A COMPLETE ENGINE.
GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW ENGINE, OR SHORT BLOCK.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turfer
[He said a short block would not be advisable because of the amount of bore he would have to take out because of the huge gap between the cylinder and piston and the cylinder wall damage.
I would get the above clarffied with your dealer .what Parker has said is right,about the shortblock,If your dealer says that is what he has to do ,I would take the machine to someone confident,I also believe that he have said that the old motor has to much wear to be bored.you cannot tell untill it is mic,for what its worth trash it,get a price for a shortblock plus his labor to change all the parts over,then get a price on a new engine,I did a briggs twin
shortblock,briggs gave 4 hours to do the job if I remember right ,by the time I was done for another 100-150 he could of had a new engine with a 2year guarentee instead of ninty day.All this goin on here about kohler should be put in the forum kohler vs kaw
Old 08-27-2001, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

rebuild...

Hi,

We had a similar problem with our Onan 18 hp. One cylinder had a slight blow by. Enough that it used up 1/2 quart in about 5 hrs. It too ran fine and did not misfire. What we did was rebuild it by inserting a new sleeve, and piston on the bad cylinder and a just a new piston on the good cylinder, along with new set of gaskets. I would suggest you take your engine to a machine shop and have them machine your block and insert a sleeve into it. Our onan is going strong after the rebuild with no signs of any problems. And of course, no more smoke and adding oil necessary..... We paid 400 dollars for this.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turfer,
Sounds like your dealer is blowing some big time smoke or doesn't know much about what he's doing. I'd consider replacing that engine with a complete NEW engine. You get a 2 year warranty on a new engine vs. a 90 day warranty on a short block. You also get new cylinder heads,carburetor,ignition, etc. etc.. If you go the short block route, be sure the dealer checks out the cylinder heads i.e.(valves, guides, seats, warpage) and does a valve job. Also if you get a new engine you can keep the old one for spare parts. ED
Old 08-28-2001, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I did put a new engine in my Walker. I went in the shop and talked to the mechanic that worked on my machine. He said there was allot of debris in my engine that probably caused the problem. He showed me a piece on the new engine that was missing on my old engine. It was the metal plate covering the air filter under the air filter cover. It definitely was not there because I removed and cleaned the carb twice plus replacing the filter and cleaning it numerous times and I never saw it. He said they could have short blocked it but the guarantee was only 90 days. With the amount of sludge in my engine, he said I would be taking a real chance. The breakdown on the pricing was another new engine sale for me. Short blocking would have only been a few hundred dollars cheaper and like you said, I get a 2 year warranty with the new engine. I'm satisfied with the results and the dealer has been real honest about all the business I have done with him. The Walker may move back to the number 1 slot ahead of my GD chariot because it drives so different with the new power. Thanks for all your help.