Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2007, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Question about grass

Can someone help me with the grass in the pictue. What has happened and how to fix? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2007, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

St. Augustine? Looks dormant but send a larger overview. Tell us what you've done so far. It's difficult to just look at a photograph without any kind of background or even the kind of grass we're viewing. Not being mean or snotty, it's like looking at a dead person and saying "How did he die?"
Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry about the lack of other information. I placed the on here pretty quick this morning. It is St. Augustine and it is dormant but was curious about the runners running along the ground. It is like this in only a small area of the yard. The remainder of the yard looks normal. I attached an additional picture. It's a little larger of an area of the yard. If you look in the upper left corner of the picture the grass looks like what I would call normal dormant grass. The problem is only in an area of about 200-300 sq. feet of the yard. Thanks again for the help.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like the St. Augustine has had something else in those bare spots. Maybe Crabgrass which has died out for the winter. Those big runner do run over the top of the ground which is natural. You can make the yard a little thicker by taking a shovel and cutting them. They will send out two where they were cut. I bought a place which is much worse. I started by using Atrazine Pre Emergent and will over seed the Centipede in May. St. Augustinie will have to be sprigged in those bare spots. Watch your fertlizer and soil PH. I would welcome that yard. Mine will take a couple of years to get plush. Can't rush. Someone else may know more about Centipede and St. Augustine than I do. Lots of TLC.