Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2001, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Laying Sod????

As I have retired from the teaching profession and find myself wanting to mow lawns and make it profitable. I am also looking at sodding............though I have NO clue how this (sod) is bid or what is a fair price to bid when doing a new home which has been finish graded......I would appreciate any advice anyone might have........Thanks
Old 08-29-2001, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod is usually bid by the sq. ft. or sq. yd.

The fair price for ANYTHING is, ALL of your costs plus profit margin to cover investment and your time. Both fixed costs, aka productions costs (production labor and equipment plus cost of materials) and variable costs, aka overhead or non-production (cell phone, book keeping, advertising, computer, software support, postage, stationary, etc.) must be accounted for.

Even a one man operation has overhead. You spend time estimating, selling, buying, learning, plus drive a vehicle, do advertising, have a phone, etc., whether you sell one job or 100 jobs.

Anything tied to the actual production of the job or costs incurred soley for the reason of producing a job are production costs.

All overhead must be spread out and recovered by adding additional money to each production hour.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harold,
Amen! Very good points.

qcms

The question of how much to charge, such a big variable. What I need to make an hour just to survive here in the San Francisco area, would make you a very rich man in your area.

Places or things you can do...
Your local nursery. If they sell sod, they sure should know somebody that can tell you your area rates, wether it's charged per sq.ft or sq yd. Find a spot that needs a new lawn. Call up a couple of local contractors to get a feel of what prices are charged. ( I probaly will get some flak for this one)

I would also check your local area for different code requirements and whether or not you need to get a contractor's liscense. Most states have a dollar amount before a contractor's liscense is required.
John