Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2001, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

poa-trivialis or rough bluegrass

it is a problem in the lawn. i aerated it and tore it up big time. i told the lawn cust. to broadcast seed (fescue) over the lawn.
you guys ever ran into this?
ant
Old 08-25-2001, 06:45 PM
Banned

If you took care of the aeration, did you also put down a non-selective broad leaf weed killer?
Old 08-25-2001, 06:45 PM
Banned

I meant a herbicide to kill the stuff- sorry
Old 08-25-2001, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

no
ant
Old 08-27-2001, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

poa trivialis

I sell Poa Trivialis seed to LCO's who cannot grow anything else due to shade, poor drainage, & compaction. Years ago I serviced a lawn in a real ritzy neighborhood that was just about 100% Poa Triv. The lawn had been previously damaged (inadvertantly) with herbicides, thatchers, overseeders, and aerators. All had been used by well intentioned LCO's & landscapers who were trying to improve the conditions for Fine Fescue Shade blends. All failed. So did we. I hated that lawn. We always had to use very low herbicide rates to cut down on weeds. LESCO BentgrassSelective was OK & didn't damage the Poa Triv, as long as it was cool. The place was never dry!
Fescue won't last in wet soils; thats why the Poa is there. If the client wont take the steps needed to drainthe soil, you'll battle the Poa for as long as you service the acct.
Some drainage & Roundup are the permanant solution.
Then again, maybe the client should be grateful they can grow something other than just moss. Manage Poa Trivialis with an eye toward careful herbicide selection. A pre-emerge may not be desirable at all. 2-3 Lbs N per season is probably all it'll need. Most diseases that can wack BlueGrass can also get Poa Triv as it is a Blue Grass. It won't tolerate drought at all. GoodLuck
Old 08-28-2001, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

tremore: thanks for the reply and welcome to a forum with a lot of great help and info.
i think he should live with it ,but it gets brown patch like no one else.
ant
Old 08-28-2001, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ant,
It's way too soon to draw any conclusions but something I have observed. I am a LESCO Market Sales Rep for Metro NY & So. CT. Lawn Care not Golf. LESCO owns a newly patented Nitrogen source which is trademarked as NOVEX. It is technically refered to as aminoureaformaldehyde (whew) with some other new yet similar compounds. I'm allowed to market limited quantities for Pro Athletic & Very hi-end commercial turf/botanical gardens, etc. We can't make enough to market it widely yet.
NOVEX, like all commercially avaiable N sources, can shut down when the turf gets dry. Big deal, so do all the rest of the slow N's. Novex is fun because it is engineered to shut almost completely down when it gets too WET. No other source can do this with the same degree of predictability. Some N sources just release like crazy during very wet weather. This feature, combined with the very low salt content, leads to sustained release for +/-6 MONTHS (not weeks-months). So, where a contract or program specifies an amount of Nitrogen, but not a number of treatments, this saves some applicators money. I have two LCOs that have applied 3lbs/N at one time, Mid-May, to reduce labor. (1 app instesd of 3, for .5lbs N per month for 6 months, pretty cool.) I have personally overseen the application of 4.75lbs N (on 1 day June 14, 01) to a metro NY Municipal Soccer Field that wasn't responding to a conventional fertility program. It's responding now and won't need fert again this year.
The only point here is that with all the hot humid weather & all that applied Nitrogen, one might expect an awful lot of Brown Patch. On 7 high cut, non athletic field lawns that have been treated and the 1 soccer field (no fungicides on any of these 7), there hasn't been ANY Brown Patch this year. The rest of the customers, NFL teams, Gardens, etc. all have fungicide programs, so they aren't being considered here. Now this isn't a large scale test. Only 26 acres were treated on all 7 sites. There has been no lab analysis to confirm our observations. But for the amount of clippings that have been produced and the dark green color, there is no lack of N after 13-16 weeks. This is the second year for 3 of the sites, we know they'll keep screaming green till Early October. But 2 years, no Brown Patch. No scientific findings to publish yet, but real happy customers. Hey, you never know! There are some known links to advanced microbial activity & Rhizoctonia. Maybe we're onto something. Time will tell.
Glad to find this site. Thanks
Old 08-29-2001, 09:26 PM
Banned

I would like to test drive your "slow" N in the PacificNorthwest. I swear by IBDU and dreaded the day Scotts bought Vigoro.....no more WoodAce. Maybe it could fit into my program.....somewhere.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Powerreel,
IBDU was my favorite N source, even if we don't sell it. The only drawback is cost. An all IBDU blend works great, but agronomically, is a tough fit on cost. This is often the case with reacted Nitrogens, thus the popularity of coated products. UF has upwards of 40% HWIN, that largely can't release to plants. It may take 10 years for some of that N to become available. Some never will. Attempts to tame this feature results in too much soluble N. There's a reason so many popular reacted N blends contain Urea. Apply 100% UF or IBDU at 1 lb N, & check the increase in clippings yeild. Reining in the cost with Urea makes the situation even worse.
Interestingly, it was Vigoro who owned the new Novex patent before LESCO bought it. Vigoro couldn't manufacture the stuff. It's a VERY difficult process. LESCO's first year of production in our dedicated manufacturing plant measured increases in productivity in bags per day rather than tons. It's no wonder the stuff killed it's first owner. We've got enough new processes established now to keep it growing.
More informal, verbal polling of Golf Superintendents yesterday has confirmed the HUGE reduction in Brown Patch. This is probably due to the microbial activity that is stimulated beyond expectation plus the "Smart" ability to shut down release of N when moisture is too abundant. IE Brown Patch weather. Send me your e-mail & I'll get you more info. sls247@lesco.com