Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Monkey Grass

I have to give a bid on a spring clean up. The guy has a ton of monkey grass he want's trimmed. Some of it is a border along a side walk. The rest is a 4x60 foot bed of monkey grass only on a bank on the side of his property planted at different times, so the growth rate is sporadic. What is the best way to trim both types of monkey grass planting
Old 03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Take your time and cut it by hand with hedge clippers.

Or, if you have a lot of it and it's safe to do so, mow it with 21" mower set to the max height.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliplawn View Post
I have to give a bid on a spring clean up. The guy has a ton of monkey grass he want's trimmed. Some of it is a border along a side walk. The rest is a 4x60 foot bed of monkey grass only on a bank on the side of his property planted at different times, so the growth rate is sporadic. What is the best way to trim both types of monkey grass planting

I do it the same way I cut down laropie. I use my trimmer, cut it to height, blow it out and then rake it up or if Im doing a spring cleanup Ill blow it on the yard and bag it up with my mower.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a lawn mower with a bagger you can use that. You can also use a line trimmer to cut it all down. If you use a mower, cut it as high as it will go. If you use a trimmer, cut it at about 5-6" tall. Then come back and turn the trimmer sideways ( like edging a lawn) and trim the edges of the grass to give it a clean look.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've done it all kinds of ways. It's irritating no matter how ya do it.

In the end, I would usually cut it down with my gas powered hedge trimmers and have somebody follow me with a rake and a bucket.

Using the stirng trimmer made a huge mess, and didn't leave the clumps looking very neat. JMO, everyone has to find the method that works best for them.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

When I have to trim monkey grass I use both my 21" and trimmer. I run over it with the 21" mower set has high as it will go with the bagger on to help in the clenup. Then I follow up with the trimmer to clean everything up because the mower gives it a flat top look. This has been the best for me but like what was said before find what works best for you and the equipment you have.