Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We trim and edge every time
Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

stop taking offense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
This is not rocket science. I'm well aware of what it takes to make a yard look very good. With a bit of hands on experience I'll learn how to make it great, and soon after that, excellent. I've got a 1/3 acre yard I've been cutting for 15 years and trimming as well. And who is to say if I'm qualified or not? I was unaware of any qualifications or degree it takes to cut grass?
lol. I know how some of u guys do to the new guys, even with each other; u waste time on here arguing, putting someone elses idea down, or belittling the new guy. It's all such waste of time. I'm new so I don't expect to do as well as someone that is more experienced with "edging" and all that, but I'll find out exactly how to do it. I'm not going to respond to anyone else who tries to waste time by trying to detour me from this biz.
you dont think there are any skills needed to run a lawn care business....you will learn as you go.... and what do you tell the customers as you learn....... well Mr Smith, i will get better in time, until then, you can keep paying me as i learn...

all im saying is it seems you dont even have the basics..... at all.........what is edging?????

what ever, i hope you dont join the big crowd at the end of the year who are no longer here.... about 50% of the people here on the just starting forum will be gone before august.... dont beleive me... ok....

i really wish you nothing but the best of luck... just trying to point out that you may need some experience...

for people with no experience, it is a very common suggestion here on lawnsite that somone learn while working for an established company for a while.....
6 full time
Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the people I've been talking to focus on the basics; grass cut, trimmed, and blown. THat's basically it. I'm studying to be a personal trainer now also. The manual is over 500 pages with thousands of words like golgi tendon organ, creatine phosphate system, and sarcolemme. Cutting grass is cake compared to learning all this stuff in dealing with the human body. Grass simple, human body complicated! THere's a reason why brain surgeons get paid much more per hour than someone mowing a lawn. It's because it takes much more precision and much more is at risk. 10-12 year old boys began cutting grass. I'm a grown man. I THINK I can add the "edging" on without much experience/skill...lol
Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

man,i still like to bring out the old weedwacker from sears.still like it better than my new one.aint never done know edgeing but i beat the mess out of that grass with the ww.my mower has so much lift with them blades it does most of the sidewalk for me.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Since you guys are talking about edging, do any of you do beveling? When I got into the biz in 1985, the tall, straight edge on turfgrass was very in vogue. Later; in California at least, that look went away with your better outfits. A straight edge with a bevel to the hardscape; done with a line trimmer, became real popular. It adds a little work, but I think it looks better when it is done well. Landscape installers also liked the new look, and began to set grade lower than they had previously, so that the bevel could be done completely clean below the hardscape surface. Anyone else do this or notice this trend?
*confused*
Im about 95% sure I understand what you mean.... but could use a picture to be 100% sure. Got any?

CAROLINA CUTS
Landscape & Lawn Service
Not your ordinary pain in the gr@ss lawn service...