Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2001, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have this happen??

I worked for this lawn care company for the past 15 years. This past spring I bought the lawn chemical application part of this lawn care company. The company I bought the equipment / accounts from wanted out of that part of the business. They are still doing all the other maintenance work on these properties. Everything has been going great up to this point until last week. I got a call Monday telling me that Mr.---- called and cancelled all services including mine. It seems that one of the guys was caught dumping his mower bag in a wooded area behind his building and he blew a gasket!! The guys cleaned up what they had dumped and told him it wouldn't happen again but he fired them anyway. I have treated this guys lawns for the past 13 years and they were in bad shape when I started treating them. They are in real nice shape now. I wrote a letter to this guy to ask him why he was terminating my services over something I had nothing to do with. He hasn't replied as of yet. Has anyone run into a situation like this?? ED
Old 08-30-2001, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is one of the pitfalls of the situation that you are in.
The client hasn't separated your business from the old one and still thinks of you as the origional. You have to try to change this perception with him and all of your customers. When you buy any business you must expect some fallout. Try to change his mind and if you don't, then move on and win some clients on your own merits and not the past company's
Old 08-30-2001, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard not to take personally. I still do after 30 years. But when something isn't logical you just gotta rise us and get over it and move on. Life isn't fair or logical sometimes and it isn't worth the frustration dealing with a dope.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a letter today from Mr.---- , he states that he found a new lco that is full service and he wants to give them all maintenance work. I'm gonna move on, but it still stinks!! I've picked up 2 new accounts that will net me more than his 3 properties did. ED
Old 08-31-2001, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Become independent

you will continue to have problems like this. It seems to be a certainty where mowing guys and licensed pest control applicators are concerned. Call it a conflict of interest. It always works for awhile and then you catch the brunt of someone elses poor work ethic. Let your customers know that you stand alone.
Old 08-31-2001, 03:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Become independent

you will continue to have problems like this. It seems to be a certainty where mowing guys and licensed pest control applicators are concerned. Call it a conflict of interest. It always works for awhile and then you catch the brunt of someone elses poor work ethic. Let your customers know that you stand alone. Concentrate on acquiring new customers and soon you will be free of your past!