Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy Mowers

I like all the standard comercial mowers but i wanted to know if anyone has checked out the bad boy line,and what they thought of it?

Here is the link
http://www.badboymowers.com/index.html

Thanks Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

just getting ready to buy one now. Been looking at the 60in pup series with the 30hp kohler. I have seen this mower in person and dont believe they make a better mower for the money right now but I will let you know as soon as I mow with it . Was just getting ready to post a thread on this myself
Old 03-03-2007, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kustom, keep us updated as I may pull the trigger and upgrade this summer myself. I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen so far. After all my research this winter it seems I'm leaning toward the BB. I'm going to check out a pup and lightning this week.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 03-03-2007, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure thing guys might be going to dealership monday.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

if I buy one buy the 15th for 6895 they throw in a echo 210 trimmer, I will be getting the spoiler and the stripping kit on it, and getting rid of my old jd, keeping the wheelhorse though, all for about 5500.00to 6000.00. trimmer wont be bad for a spare either. check em out www.arki-tek.com
Old 03-04-2007, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

You won't be disappointed. I have been running Pups for a while now and love them.

Bad Boy Mowers
Kawasaki Equipment
Old 03-04-2007, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

hey rhino where you at in fla I used to live in Zepherhills
Old 03-05-2007, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I just talked to two GREAT guys from BB on the phone today. They are the two reps that handle Ohio and Michigan. I was inquiring about additional shops that will be carrying their lines. It sounds to me that these guys are here to stay and are in pretty good shape to shake things up for other OEM's. They have revamped their dealer network and are planning on ramping up the dealer support network quite extensively, especially to the northern states where they have not focused. I'd keep an eye on these guys as it sounds like over the next year or two they should be readily available in most areas.

I'm headed to Detroit tomorrow for work and will try to stop by the Novi Expo center for the Michigan green industry show. Their Michigan rep will be in attendance with one of their newest dealers, All Seasons Landscape Co in Belleville. I'll post back some pics and details on the mowers if I'm able to attend.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

hey rhino where you at in fla I used to live in Zepherhills

Polk County

Bad Boy Mowers
Kawasaki Equipment
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely STUNNED at the quality of these machines!!!

WOW!!! that was my first reaction when I first saw these units. After about 3 or 4 years of tracking these mowers I finally got to check them out in person at the Michigan Expo today. Hands down this has got to be the strongest machine I've set eyes on. EVERYTHING on these units are built to last. I think what impressed me the most is the fact that all the components on these mowers are standard in the industry and easily sourced. What I mean is there is not much that is "bad boy exclusive" when it comes to upkeep, belts, filters, hydro's drive motors, etc..... its all readily available from most parts sources thus the maintenance should be a snap. The frame alone that these are built around are thicker than most mfg's decks. I believe its a combination of 7 and 11 gage steel. The deck ALONE weighs in at 250lbs and is solid 1/4" thick. The forks, 1/2" thick. To say this is overbuilt or over engineered is a total understatement. And the fact that they are $3k+ cheaper than other units in the same category is just sick. I looked over every inch of the Lightning, Pup, and AOS models for more than an hour and just kept shaking my head in disbelief.

Another item that really caught my eye is the minimal amount of weld points on the entire unit. It's almost like a "unibody" design so to speak. If you look at many of the other mfg's units, there are covers, plates, additional steel, etc....that is welded to different points of the frame for either looks or rigidity. You won't find that on these units. It's a straightforward design with minimal points of failure.

Horsepower.........enough said. All their units (even the entry level ZT) are overpowered with huge motors(23 - 35hp)

Bang for the buck..........untouchable
For instance in comparing their top unit, one could get their 72" deck w/ 35hp cat 4cyl diesel, suspension, 26" tires, 16cc pumps, 18cu drive motors, dual hydro coolers, and 2.5 gallon hydraulic resovour, electronic deck lift with manual option, 1/4" deck etc.... for around $13k.

In comparison (you could stick several other units in this as well, I personally really like the Hustlers so will use that) a Hustler Super Z diesel. 72" deck with 34 hp cat diesel, no suspension, 26" tires, larger 21cc pumps, dual hydro coolers, larger 3 gallon hydraulic reservoir, manual deck lift, thinner deck/frame etc.... for around $16.5K

At least a $3500 difference. You could buy this and a walk for the same price.

Now the downside, dealer network. Unfortunately they are still growing and don't have their network completely built out. I will say in talking to two different reps for Michigan and Ohio, their plans are quite extensive to build this out over the next year. They are adding dealers left and right so hopefully this will eliminate one HUGE issue for many. The Ohio rep also mentioned they were in talks with Lesco (future is unknown due to the Deere acquisition) but at least they are really tying to build out the network. Now for me being a homeowner, it's a moot point but I due completely understand the need if I was cutting commercially. All in all, definitely give these a look if you are in the market for a new mower. Also, they don't have all their accessories listed on their site. If you get the brochure you will notice they also have mulch kits, upgradeable suspension forks for the units that don't have them, manual deck lifts, and several other items.

That's it in a nutshell. I was hoping to snap some pics but unfortunately I left my phone in the car so my apologies on that. I was really leaning toward the Lesco Z-two or EverRide Warrior, as they both seem to fit the "bang for the buck" category but after kicking the tires on the BB, I've officially changed my mind. Hope this helps!!

Cheers,

Don
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights