Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2007, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gator Blades

Ok...I have no idea the major differences between low sail, mid sail, high sail and these gator blades.... can some one give me a breakdown plz. Alot of guys rave about the gator blades in this area.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya me too! The guy I bought my mower from suggested that I buy a Gator Blade cuz my mower is not a mulching mower.......Not Hi-jackin but I would like to know as well
Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Low down on the blades: The higher the "sail" the more it lifts the grass. The gator blades have a fairly high sail BUT their sail is split. This allows for the clippings to be cut more than the average blade resulting in less clumping. I am looking into these blades as well. People on here say that in wet grass and really tall grass they still clump.

Justin
Old 03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the standard High Lifts on my JD 727 that same on it until fall. In my opinion, my standard high lifts (High "Sail") cut grass better than my gator blades. However, the gators mulched up the leaves better. When all of my properties stop dropping leaves and begin growing again, the gators are comming off and my HIgh Lifts going back on.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah maybe thats why i am hearing about them this time of year here, as the leafs are falling and alot of people don't do leaf clean up, so these I am taking it as the best bet to chop them up fine!

I have been thinking about getting one of those side catchers for my toro z cause I have a few properties here that are in the upscale area and they have alot of trees that drop em... anyway don't want to tget off the subject. I was thinking thats what they were for in means of lifting the grass but wasn't sure and wanted to ask the other pro's, I am still an amateur