Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Work while in school?

I wasn't really too sure where to post this, so this looked like the best place. I am currently working as an accountant, but getting ready to go back to school for the horticulture program at my local tech college. My question is, do any landscape companies hire college students for part time work and work around their classes and pay a decent wage as well? I am talking a decent wage as in maybe $12-14 an hour? Or should I just stay working as I currently am until I finish the program which will take me about 5 qtrs. By the way, I am in the Alpharetta area which is about 30 mins north of Atlanta.

Thanks for any help!!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I found a job like that for when I'm at school where I was working monday, wednsday, and friday afternoons, and saturdays. This semester i set up my schedule so I've got no class tuesdays and thursdays. So i'll work those days and saturdays. Good luck finding a job like this paying 12 to 14 an hour - I would expect something more like 9 or 10 but thats here in New York, you may be able to make more but I'm still not sure about making what you're hoping for

Chevy, GMC, and Ford Trucks, All Bob-Cat Mowers, Stihl Handhelds and Saws
Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i work for an excavating company in the summer...i dont take any days off and work as much OT as they need me to so they like me there...i work summer break, thanksgiving break, winter break, and next week i'll be working spring break...i know for my company they are busyist in the summer so they like the extra help, then when it slows in the fall and winter i leave for school so i'm better then paying a full-time employee...as far as hiring you on your days off from classes it would really depend on how much they like you and how busy they are...as far as wages i make above $13 but below $15 for 40 hours a week then about another 10 hours in time and a half OT.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks so much guys!!! I will start looking into some local companies and see what I can dig up. It wouldn't be worth it if the pay is below $12-13 an hour for me to change jobs right now, so maybe I will get lucky and find a good one.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to find a job with a local lco with out much trouble. After looking in the Sunday paper, I must have found at least 40 listings for lawn care or landscaping is various aspects. As it warms up, the rush should continue to grow!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details