Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will the grass be up to cut soon here?

It's supposed to be 50 degree highs for like the next 5 days in a row here in Indy. There is going to be some rain too. How much growth would u guys say there would be in these conditions ( after 5 days of it?). Would this mean that mid march will be the start season here? I'm getting so anxious; hoping I don't have to wait 'til mid-late April for calls!!!
I've read that the ideal time to put out ads is within the 3 week period prior to the start of the season. but I'm not sure when it is for this area.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't expect too much growth yet. you may be able to squeeze a lawn or 2 in the next week or so, but don't really expect to start really cutting until the end of march
Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on the condition of the lawns and the weather. If you have lawns that were on a fertilizer program and temp stay's in the mid 50s-60s then you might be able to get started mowing by the end of March. I have been getting all my equipment ready and started my ad in local paper for cleanups and mowing. If temps stay above freezing at nite and day time temps stay near 60 or warmer I figure I might get one or two mowings in March but time will tell. I'm like you getting anxious and ready to start, have spring fever really bad.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

i advertise all year its never to soon to start, start cutting when you see the yards beginning to look shabby. here in NC i'm cutting now, but every other week.

For I Am A Better Than You Will Ever Be!<--LMAO
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys for your responses!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is prime time to get all your stuff in order!

I've been working on mine most of the winter (but off and on lol), I highly suggest going over all of your equipment and fix what is broken, do what last-minute maintenance needs doing now, tweak and adjust and get everything just perfect, truck too, go over everything piece by piece, inspect it and make sure it works.

Because another couple of weeks or so, the poop is going to hit the FAN!
So the more your equipment is in order, the longer you can run it without down time, sometimes my stuff has to run through to fall or at least summer before it sees any maintenance other than the daily stuff. Get it straight now = less worry later.

I think for the East Coast and any other areas that experienced a drought last year, it will likely be pretty busy due to a possible Lco shortage (an unfortunate side effect of the drought), so long the weather holds up I would expect pretty serious business.
Yes sir, it's coming, get ready.

On another note, if you haven't done so, now would be prime time to get HOT on advertising as well.
I know the phone isn't ringing yet, but it's only a short matter of time.
So if you have no ads out, I would start on that right along with maintenance.

Last edited by topsites; 03-09-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Logbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
It's supposed to be 50 degree highs for like the next 5 days in a row here in Indy. There is going to be some rain too. How much growth would u guys say there would be in these conditions ( after 5 days of it?). Would this mean that mid march will be the start season here? I'm getting so anxious; hoping I don't have to wait 'til mid-late April for calls!!!
I've read that the ideal time to put out ads is within the 3 week period prior to the start of the season. but I'm not sure when it is for this area.
Youll find it helpfull if you keep a logbook with the customers info I keep 1 page for customer with Name Date of first cut and everything you did on that propertyall season. That way you can go back and see when you started your season plus it'll show you who your most productive people are add totals at the end of the season.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the resonses and insite!